ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student visa/ 1 yr child giving BC to parents!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

student visa/ 1 yr child giving BC to parents!

Post by Mauser1905 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:38 pm

This is nothing to do with me, came to know of this development of a known family.

The husband and wife were on some college visas, students, however they are basically working and that's it. Now their visas are coming to end this April.

They have been advised by their immi solicitor that they can renew their student visa after they part with £10k. and their 1 year old child will give them citizenship after 5 years. child is Indian I believe. Couple has another toddler back in India and have not been to home to see child for like 4 or 5 years.

As far as I understand children born in the UK with parents (non EEA passport holders) without ILR/PR can not claim to British citizenship.

Honestly I can see the solicitor/agent is taking these people for a ride, but hope is such a virtue of human being that blinds them to bitter facts. to be honest the whole scheme looks dodgy to me!

Or has the immigration law changed which makes this true?

regards

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Re: student visa/ 1 yr child giving BC to parents!

Post by akhurshid » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:05 pm

If a child spends considerable time(8 years I believe) in UK, then he/she can obtain BC. Or that was the case up until last few years anyway. I don't have much knowledge of that I just read it somewhere few years ago.

waiz89k

Post by waiz89k » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:56 pm

What I have heard of is If u have a child born in UK and has spent 7 years in the country after child's birth then u can apply to stay in the country on the basis of child being born in UK and 7 years old. I am not sure that it is a human right thing or else.

anyone has a knowledge of this, ur comments will be much appreciated.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Thanks people,

I haven't come across the 7 or 8 year rules as you say. My understanding was for a child even if born in the UK citizenship can not be gained unless one of the parents was of British citizen.

In this case the parents who are on student visas are expecting to derive British citizenship from their child.

regards

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Mauser1905 wrote:Thanks people,

I haven't come across the 7 or 8 year rules as you say. My understanding was for a child even if born in the UK citizenship can not be gained unless one of the parents was of British citizen.

In this case the parents who are on student visas are expecting to derive British citizenship from their child.

regards
You are talking about registering a child as British citizen but we are talking more like on human grounds. It is still possible but you need to look around or ask the lawyer about it. I think period is actually 7 not 8 as I mentioned before as I couldn't recall the exact number.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:25 am

As far as I know, parents cannot be granted British citizenship from their child.

A UK born (non-UK) child may be entitled to British citizenship under limited conditions.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks everybody. something new learnt today.

regards