ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pre-Booked Flights for Schengen Application

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RoyalFlush

Pre-Booked Flights for Schengen Application

Post by RoyalFlush » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi

I am looking at obtaining a Schengen visa for my parents who hold South African passports. The visa requirements state as follows on the Polish embassy (which is their destination):

"Round trip air ticket and itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry to and exit from the Schengen territories. If more than one entry is required, a reason must be provided."

source: http://www.pretoria.msz.gov.pl/en/consu ... uirements/

Having read the handbook, it states that:

"In general a paid return ticket is not required but can be requested in exceptional circumstances."

source: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/po ... 620_en.pdf (pdf page 49/ document page 48)

Can anyone advise what they provided as proof? Would a provisional travel itinerary from a travel agency be acceptable for the flights? And likewise for the accommodation?

Thanks in advance
Sean

Donutz

Re: Pre-Booked Flights for Schengen Application

Post by Donutz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Yes, an itinerary/reservation/option should be enough, thus not requiring you to make any serious costs untill th visa has been granted.

If you have read the handbook you probably know, but just incase:
If you or your spouse is not Polish, and your parents (in law) come to visit you, this would be a case of non-EU family members joining an EU family member (for a holiday) in any other EU/EEA nationa then the one they are a national of. In that case the visa would be free, via an accelerated and simplified procedure. Flights, accomodation evidence, proof of funds, travel insurance etc. would not be required. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi Donutz

Thank you so much. I was not aware of this. I have followed your link but am unable to find specific information that you are referring to.

I have a British passport and my wife is Polish. It is my parents who will be coming from South Africa. So based on what you are saying, my parents are entitled to a free Shengen Visa if I travel to Poland with them (my folks already have a 5 year UK visa). Please advise how I go about this application for my parents. My assumption would be to fill out the standard form (http://www.pretoria.msz.gov.pl/resource ... a6fc933462) by

stipulating:
21. Main purpose(s) of the journey: Visiting family or friends

filling in section with my details as UK citizen:
34. Personal data of the family member who is an EU, EEA or CH citizen

and stating:
35. Family relationship with an EU, EEA or CH citizen: child

The statement below would exclude having to fill in the requirement for proof of filghts/accommodation as you have advise if I am correct:
"The fields marked with * shall not be filled in by family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens (spouse, child or dependent ascendant) while exercising their right to free movement. Family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens shall present documents to prove this relationship and fill in fields No 34 and 35."

This would require proof of the relationship between myself and my parents. And this would be a free application?

Thank you again
Sean
Last edited by RoyalFlush on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Donutz,

Sorry, me again. With regards to the fees listed as below:

Fees:

Visa Schengen or national: R 876
Visa for children 6-12 years old: R 511
Visa will be issued free of charge for:
- children under 6,
- spouses and dependents of EU citizens (copy of marriage certificate or other relevant documents must be submitted together with the application).

source: http://www.pretoria.msz.gov.pl/en/consu ... visa_fees/

Would my parents be considered dependants of EU citizen(s)? Strictly speaking, they are not dependant on me (financially) as they live in another country.

Thanks again,
Sean

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:24 pm

You already figured some of the information out yourself (the Schengenform, skipping the questions with an * and no fees).

More info can be found in de EU handbook for the processing of visa, which has a section on family of EU/EEA nationals (page 81> ):
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... dex_en.htm -->
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... ted_en.pdf

Your parents could most likely join you, them being non EU nationals joining an EU national (you, a British national) to an other EU country (Poland). If the Polish embassy would consider your parents as being dependant on you you might wish to check with the embassy. The handboook says:
Question no 2: Does the visa applicant fall under the definition of “family member”?
‘Core’ family members have an automatic right of entry and residence, irrespective of their nationality. Their right of entry
is derived from the Directive and the national transposition measures may not restrict these rights or the scope of ‘core’ family members. The following persons are defined in Article 2(2) of the Directive as ‘core’ family members:
• the spouse;
• the partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis
of the legislation of any Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State treats
registered partnership as equivalent to marriage;
• the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependant as well as those of the
spouse or partner as defined above; or
• the dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as
defined above.

In order to maintain the unity of the family in a broad sense, Member States may extend the facilitations to so-called ‘extended’ family members, see Commission Communication COM(2009) 313 final.
AFAIK, "dependant" means you sometimes financially support them, or take care of them etc. They do not have to live with you. Perhaps that elsewhere in the forum a better explination can be found, and/or ask the Polish embassy what their view is.