ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need members thought on this issue

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tier1Gen

Need members thought on this issue

Post by Tier1Gen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Members,
I was planning to apply for my BC next month and came across the new changes in effect for naturalisation.

9.7 Evasion of immigration control
The decision maker will normally refuse an application if within the 10 years
preceding the application the person has not been compliant with immigration
requirements, including but not limited to having:
a. failed to report
b. failed to comply with any conditions imposed under the Immigration Acts
c. been detected working in the UK without permission

My problem is that back in 2008 I applied for HSMP before the expiry of my visa, Due to some issue with the payment. Home office returned my application due to non-payment after the expiry of my visa.

Even though the visa was expired, but it was mentioned in the letter (from HO) that If I wish I can resubmit a new application, which was later refused and I left UK within 28 days.

I would be happy if any senior can comment on this, if it will be considered breach of Immigration Act. As my initial application was made within time but I have no clue why HO was unable to get the payment.

Please see the document attached.
20150211_224731.jpg
20150211_224731.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1777 times
Regards,

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Need members thought on this issue

Post by fwd079 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:58 am

Personally I think you have overstayed, and this can hamper your chances, but I would strongly recommend consulting a lawyer for any further details/steps.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Tier1Gen

Post by Tier1Gen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks fwd079 for you advice.

I did contact one of the OISC this morning, explained the scenario to them.

What he told me was that,

"what you have described should not be the ground for refusal as caseworker has to look at all the facts of the case and there was no intention to deceive on your part. As the intent was clear and initial application was in time, though due to payment failure this issue happened."

I will try to get few more opinions and will decide what to do.

I would appreciate if any member who has experienced similar scenario to share their experience.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Tier1Gen wrote:Thanks fwd079 for you advice.

I did contact one of the OISC this morning, explained the scenario to them.

What he told me was that,

"what you have described should not be the ground for refusal as caseworker has to look at all the facts of the case and there was no intention to deceive on your part. As the intent was clear and initial application was in time, though due to payment failure this issue happened."

I will try to get few more opinions and will decide what to do.

I would appreciate if any member who has experienced similar scenario to share their experience.

No problem, did you get any more opinions or have you made any decisions yet?

Tier1Gen

Post by Tier1Gen » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Fwd079,
I've spoken to afew OISC consultants and also taken further advice from Naturalisation help centre.

I was told that point 9.7 has different interpretation. If I would have gone underground or would have tried to hide from the Home Office then I could have been effected by this point.

In my case I have a clear history, In that particular situation I could not have done nothing as its a procedural issue and Home Office is aware of the situation.

In short I would be applying next month.

Regards,

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Brilliant, thanks for coming back with reply. Good luck.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:51 am

The burden is on the Secretary of State to demonstrate that your application was indeed invalid.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Tier1Gen

Post by Tier1Gen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 am

@Vinny Thanks alot for pointing me to invalid application post.

@Fwd079 Thanks for your good wishes.

Will keep the forum posted with the progress.

Regards,

ManB
Newly Registered

Post by ManB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi Tier1gen,

I am in a very similar situation regarding prior invalid application and also wanting to apply for naturalisation soon.

Thanks for offering to keep the forum posted on your progress as I am keen to know how you get on. Please do share your experience and learnings here as it would be very helpful indeed.

Best of luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

Tier1Gen

Post by Tier1Gen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 am

@ManB I think the sticky post for British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs Updated by @Zee83 has clarified our issue [Point 8.10]

I would appreciate if Seniors could confirm this.

Regards

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm

@tier1Gen, having read point 8.10 I'd agree that it does appear to provide clearer guidance to caseworkers (by providing examples) on where to exercise discretion when it comes to instances where the breach was clearly outside the control of the applicant, short & unintentional.

ManB
Newly Registered

Post by ManB » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:58 pm

@Tier1Gen,

Thank you very much for directing me to the post by Zee83, it very helpful indeed.

I agree that clause 8.10 seems to clarify discretion for people with prior invalid applications; as covers the fact that these situations are often unintentional, outside the control of the applicant and not willful or delibrate breaches. I hope this can serve to demonstrate good character requirements. I would be grateful for the views of seniors, moderators and other members of the forum.

Tier1Gen, please are you able to share whether you will be applying now on this basis, or consulting solicitors etc. I am due to apply next month and trying to understand if and how best to proceed.

Thanks again.

Tier1Gen

Post by Tier1Gen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:31 pm

@Cs95tdg Thanks for your thoughts on the updated guidance.

@ManB I would suggest that you do consult OISC consultants and also check with the naturalisation customer support.
Even though I've already checked this with quite afew consultants, I would appreciate if you can contact afew and share their
thoughts here.

ManB
Newly Registered

Post by ManB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:00 pm

@Tier1Gen,

Thanks for your reply.

I am also making enquiries and will keep you posted with any feedback I get.

Best Regards,

ManB
Newly Registered

Post by ManB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:14 pm

@Tier1gen,

Hi,I hope your application plans are going well. I thought I should share some of my findings with you.

I have spoken with two immigration advisors and have got different views.One is of the opinion that I should apply, explaining the situation and see what the outcome is. If unfavourable consider re-consideration citing relevant factors and guidance. Whilst the other thought the duration between invalid applications was an overstay i.e. in breach of immigration rules.