ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ukraine Conflict Advice

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kenstar
Newly Registered

Ukraine Conflict Advice

Post by kenstar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:07 am

Hello,

My mother in law is currently visiting us in the UK on a family visit visa. She just arrived a few days ago. Her town of Mariupol is starting to heat up as has been reported in the UK media over the past few days.

We are deeply concerned if the conflict spreads to her town while she is here visiting, what options would we have to ensure her safety by prolonging her stay? The visa is valid until June so there is no rush but would like some advice about possible routes if things turn bad. Her only daughter (my wife) lives here as a British citizen. Her mothers entire life, home, job, possessions etc are in Mariupol.

Thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Ukraine Conflict Advice

Post by Wanderer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Western Ukraine and Kiev are safe.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Well, you knew about this in Aug 2014. You have sponsored visitor visa while intending to settle the visitor!

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1078163

kenstar
Newly Registered

Post by kenstar » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:27 am

There has not ever been any intention for her to settle in the UK. I don't think she would be very comfortable here at all as she doesn't speak English /different culture etc. She also has a loved one back home. She's here to see her daughter for the first time in 2 years and her newborn grandson. Though it doesn't seem to be much of a holiday for her just now as she is glued to the TV watching events at home. :-(

Things have been relatively peaceful in Mariupol since my last posts when it was clear that we were extremely worried for her safety. However a couple of days ago it's been back in the news again as a town next door has been shelled and people are very scared.

With her now over here visiting, we just want to know if there are any options for us if the worst should happen. Ie, extending her visitors visa if necessary until the situation became peaceful? Is it a possibility to extend a visitors visa with an exceptional reason such as this? If so what is the process for doing so?

I would just rather have some ideas what we can do in the worst case scenario. Thanks

Highly_Skilled

Post by Highly_Skilled » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:58 pm

kenstar wrote:There has not ever been any intention for her to settle in the UK. I don't think she would be very comfortable here at all as she doesn't speak English /different culture etc. She also has a loved one back home. She's here to see her daughter for the first time in 2 years and her newborn grandson. Though it doesn't seem to be much of a holiday for her just now as she is glued to the TV watching events at home. :-(

Things have been relatively peaceful in Mariupol since my last posts when it was clear that we were extremely worried for her safety. However a couple of days ago it's been back in the news again as a town next door has been shelled and people are very scared.

With her now over here visiting, we just want to know if there are any options for us if the worst should happen. Ie, extending her visitors visa if necessary until the situation became peaceful? Is it a possibility to extend a visitors visa with an exceptional reason such as this? If so what is the process for doing so?

I would just rather have some ideas what we can do in the worst case scenario. Thanks
There are 3 ways to get leave to remain in the UK in this scenario, however the whole purpose of the Visitors visa was for a short stay that does not entitle the subject to switch into another immigration category when in the UK.

1. Subject makes a formal claim for Asylum by arranging an interview in London

2. Subject knowingly overstays her visa and when encountered by the authorities makes a claim under Human Rights. (Though this would be refused considering she has family in Ukraine)

3. Submit an application for leave to remain outside the rules on the basis that she fears for her safety in Ukraine. However, this would more than likely be refused on the basis that she needs to claim Asylum.

She was made aware when entering the UK as a Visitor that it is intended for a short term visit and that she would be expected to leave at the end of her visa.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah it's a non starter, I know people living in Ukr and while its tough, it's not a human rights issue.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:35 pm

With the latest ceasefire from both sides being brokered may not help any of cases on humanitarian or asylum cause, IMHO.

kenstar
Newly Registered

Post by kenstar » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 am

Many thanks for your replies.

Yes yesterday seemed a bit more optimistic with regards to ceasefire. Today however there are reports of more rebel troop and artillery build up in Bezimenne & Shyrokyne (just east of Mariupol).

We shall continue to monitor the situation and hope for the best!