ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uk visa for boyfriend to visit from Africa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abip2004
Newly Registered

Uk visa for boyfriend to visit from Africa

Post by abip2004 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:04 am

I am posting this again in the hope someone can help?!

Hi

I have spent many hours researching about what is needed to sponsor my boyfriend to come for a 2-3 week holiday to UK. The facts are:

He is coming from Zanzibar, he has never travelled before. He has his first passport now. He is self employed as a driver, and has a car. He does regular jobs for some hotels, taking guests to various trips. He also works as a painter/decorator when it is low season to get money.

He regularly supports his family financially and practically (he has younger siblings). He is building a house, but has no papers for this. He only opened a bank account in November. He has no business account, he deals with cash!

I can sponsor him and provide bank statements/pay slips/tenancy/phone bills/photos (we have been together 6 months). I have visited Zanzibar twice to see him so can photocopy my visa/ticket for that.

From what I have read the main sticking point is going to be providing acceptable proof that he will return to Zanzibar? He can provide a letter from one of the hotels to say he drives for them on a regular basis and he has said he is returning, and also a letter from one of the hotels he is due to paint on return. I can also write the letter of invitation stating I will ensure he returns. I also have made enquiries about finding work over there in an email so could include that?

Is there anything else we need to provide ??

Sorry I am sure this is a common question, but I have spent many hours reading other people's experiences and now decided to write my own post! He is 23yrs old.

Thanks in advance :)

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Re: Uk visa for boyfriend to visit from Africa

Post by Mauser1905 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:07 pm

From what you wrote there isn't sufficient evidence of his ties to his home country and that he will return from the UK to his home country.

You as a sponsor cant guarantee for his return.

abip2004
Newly Registered

Post by abip2004 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:05 pm

What is seen as proof that is acceptable?? This is so stressful! All for a holiday!!

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:31 pm

You are in a very similar position to myself, my boyfriend is from the Dominican Republic.

The UKBAs main concern will that he will overstay as he has insufficent "ties" for him not to do so, Insufficent meaning, he has no children to return to, no job (self employed), no house. It also sound like you will be paying for everything so he has no financial committment either. We haven't applied yet but to give you some idea these are my boyfriends cicrumstances and we are still getting all the paperwork together and he is still saving money for trip:-

He has 3 children (could be seen as tie to home country, could be seen as reason to overstay in UK)
He has land he has built a house on
He is employed full time and will get a letter to say he can get time off work and his job will be waiting for him
Has a car (don't think this helps much)
He has $800 in saving, but this needs to be more like $1500 to prove his is paying for some of the trip. It needs to have been saved gradually and not put there by you!

Even then it will still be difficult for him to get a visitor visa. You can supply a letter (based on the template here) saying you will provide his accommodation and any funds for entertainment, but like Mauser1905 said you cannot guarantee his return.

Hope this helps

abip2004
Newly Registered

Post by abip2004 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have been told to 'play down' the boyfriend thing as it will be more likely they will think be won't go home!!

He now a letter from the hotel that he is due to work on once he returns.

I am very confused about the money too. Do we both have to have certain amount In our account?!

This is such a crazy process!!

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 pm

I have been told to 'play down' the boyfriend thing as it will be more likely they will think he won't go home!!
That is the difficult part. So what are you going to say in your letter to sponsor him, that he is your "friend". It depends upon how far along you are in your relationship. If you plan to marry at any time in the future then you may face problems in proving how long you have been together if you do not admit to the relationship now. As my boyfriend and I plan to eventually marry and will probably apply for fiancé visa, I am going to be totally upfront and say that he is my boyfriend, if they refuse the visa then so be it.

I am by no means an expert but others respected members have told me, you don't want to start telling lies/withholding information that could cause problems in the future.

Regarding the money it depends are you going to fully sponsor him (and I suppose they may ask why you would do that if you are only friends), if so you will have to give him a copy of your bank statement to show that you have the funds to support him, in order that he can take this to any interview with his other supporting documentation. If he is paying for say the flight himself he would need to produce bank statement and you will also need to provide your bank statements to prove that you can support him food/travel/entertainment. I don't think there is any set amount you need but obviously enough for how ever long his visit is.