ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage to US citizen - Spouse visa question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joolsuk
Newly Registered

Marriage to US citizen - Spouse visa question

Post by Joolsuk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:24 pm

My situation is this.

My fiancee is a US citizen, i have applied for a fiance visa for myself to get married in the US with the original (and still may) plan to then live in the US after the marriage. However now we have been advised that it may be difficult to find work where she lives and seeing as i have a good job here in the UK it may be best for us to live here after the marriage.

How long does the Visa process take for a US spouse to the UK? And would it be possible for her to come here an another type of visa until the marriage (hopefully around June/July next year), then get married in the US and return here with a spousal visa?

Any advice would be much appreciated as i've been engrossed in US immigration for a while and we seem to do it differently (though on first glance, easier and quicker).

Thanks in advance,

Michael

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:58 pm

The visa process in the US for your soon-to-be wife is pretty quick. If you marry in the US, she can apply either by post or in person to one of the 3 visa-issuing consulates; Los Angeles, Chicago or New York. Take a look on www.britainusa.com to see which place she should apply at. Postal applications take usually a week or two (can be a bit longer, but this seems to be the average) and in-person applications are usually issued with the visa same-day. The cost of the spousal visa is $1050 and it is for two years.

As far as her coming to the UK, the only thing I can think of is as a visitor. She would have to prove intent on returning to the US and enough funds to sustain herself during the stay. She would not be allowed to work while here, and the maximum she would be allowed to stay is 6 months.

Joolsuk
Newly Registered

Post by Joolsuk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply yankeegirl.

That sounds way too easy though. Its so much more difficult going the other way, 6+ months, tons of forms, evidence, interviews, medical etc. Not to mention the cost. I did read that right? For postal applications it can take a few weeks and in person same day?

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm

That sounds way too easy though.
Compared to the US immigration process it is easy. I think (just my personal opinion) that's why a lot of US/UK couples choose to settle in the UK.
For postal applications it can take a few weeks and in person same day?
Yes, that's correct, assuming that it is a straightforward application.

Here's a link to the guidance notes for the spousal visa application.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8721067257
You will have to submit corresponding evidence with the application such as marriage certificate, bank statements and so on.

Joolsuk
Newly Registered

Post by Joolsuk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:38 pm

That is just so simple. We've both been tearing our hair out with the US process!!

I'm over in the US next week so will give us some food for thought.

Thanks again for your help.