ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nuturalisation spouse of British citizen 3years complex!!!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khaledadda

Re: Nuturalisation spouse of British citizen 3years complex!

Post by khaledadda » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 am

If it's the case 10 years will start from witch date?

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:44 am

khaledadda wrote:If it's the case 10 years will start from witch date?
It'll be from the date that you left the country.
I would still advise you to consult a lawyer. You may have to pay some fee but at least you'll get professional opinion. Most people on this forum aren't lawyers or immigration advisers. Do share the advice here if you do decide to consult a lawyer.

ryan1512lon

Post by ryan1512lon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:07 am

The rules are pretty clear and written black and white, it has been confirmed several times and members have had their application refused by the home office because of this, and some have had their application denied at the NCS too. AGAIN read the good character requirement this has been updated in Dec 2014 :

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersion.pdf

Being an spouse of a British citizen doesn't change anything, unfortunately the rules apply for everyone, your question has been answered clearly and the answer, again, is that your application WILL be refused within 10 years, I know it's harsh but they are making things harder to acquire the citizenship...

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Normally, I just read this forum and very rarely provide my advice or opinions but I do have a strong opinion on this one.

I agree with the previous posters as I can't see why the new rules for Good Character requirement will not apply in the case of being a spouse of BC and don't find it to be a valid ground for exception.

Yes, for Spouse visa or ILR there may be exceptions granted as not being able to live together is viewed more detrimental to families / wellbeing (where BC partner can say it his/her right to to be able to live in the UK and have his family with him/her). However, British Citizenship is a different game altogether. It's a privilege and definitely not a right - moreover the absence of BC doesn't stop ILR holder from living in the UK with his/her family or enjoying other benefits. I do believe (and hope) in the case of BC, the new good character requirement will be strictly enforced.

Why would UK want someone who has a history of breaking laws in the past to become its citizen? Doesn't UK have enough criminals living here already, who were born with this right? So I think it is very good that they are tightening the immigration controls, finally. Does that mean you will never be able to get BC? NO, of course not! All it means that now you have to prove that you are of good character by waiting 10 years, living a good and honest life, and showing that you have changed and no longer intend to break any laws. Simple as that! Show that you can be a good citizen, and they will give you citizenship in due time, defined by law. It's a lot harder to take the citizenship away when compared to visa or ILR, so there is nothing wrong with the government wanting to make sure that they giving the citizenship to the right people from the beginning.

MSaxp

Post by MSaxp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Completely agree.

Bearing in mind that this is a forum to help people with the process and assist with the bureaucratic aspect of it. Not a forum to offer advice on bypassing the legal requirements of the process. The good character requirements are not merely a nuissance getting in the way, but a guide as to who the country wants to give citizenship to. Breaking immigration law is not something to be taken lightly. And an overstay of many years, is a deliberate disregard of british law.

This is by no means meant in a personal way to the poster, I feel for everyone's personal circumstances. But I also want citizenship to mean more than a piece of paper.

bubulinea
Newly Registered

Post by bubulinea » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:30 pm

So a genuine asylum seeker who, in fear for his life, enters the UK illegally should be held to the same standards as someone who comes into the country with every intent of breaking immigration laws, simply because it's a nicer place to live? Also, as this has been covered a few times already, with the ever changing rules an immigrant can become an overstayer quite easily and without intention.

I do see where you're coming from, I also understand that the British Citizenship is a privilege, not a right, and admittedly the case of the OP, who came into the country on a six months visitor visa and overstayed for seven years, looks extremely dodgy. However, a general 10 year ban, without taking individual circumstances into consideration and without judging each and every application individually, is nothing but satisfying the scaremongering right wing politicians. This doesn't concern only the 10 year ban, but one speeding ticket or parking ticket having such an effect on your good character is a bit of a joke. If these offences have been done repeatedly, fine ok, I understand that. But the current practice is like razing a house to the ground just because there's a leakage in the plumbing.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:38 pm

British Citizen/Overstayers Waiting time 10years
Postby mteja » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Hello All

I had an appointment with NCS today for my British Citizenship.

I had all my documents, my route would have been either 3years Spouse Visa Route or 5years.

Anyway initially i had overstayed my visa in 2008 went back to my home country and i got married , then we came back on 3yr Visa.

In NCS Today there is a new law, under good conduct, if you are overstayer in the past then one will need to wait for 10years after getting the ILR to qualify for BC.

Thought i inform guys who are applying direct to HO to watch out otherwise they will loose there money!!

I asked the lady in NCS when did that law come out, she said as from December 2014!!
I am sometimes wrong.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:46 pm

khaledadda wrote:Hi Amber

Could you please advice on nuturalisation
With the new rules of good character

Thanks

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:19 am

My two cents says, that 10 year wait is on unfortunately!
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:26 pm

bubulinea wrote:So a genuine asylum seeker who, in fear for his life, enters the UK illegally should be held to the same standards as someone who comes into the country with every intent of breaking immigration laws, simply because it's a nicer place to live?
If they were in fear of their life, then they would go to the nearest safe country and apply for asylum there. UK is surrounded by safe countries and they would have traveled through them to illegally enter the UK. Just look at all the illegals in Calais, refusing to claim asylum in France as they want to live in the UK. Are they in fear of their lives in France?

If they have been granted refugee status in the UK, they can still live in the UK as long as they were honest in their asylum claim.

If their aim was to get UK citizenship, then (hopefully) they will now have to wait a long time for that. Or they may even decide to claim in France instead or in any other safe countries they were going to travel through, if they will give them citizenship quicker.

bubulinea
Newly Registered

Post by bubulinea » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Petaltop wrote: If they were in fear of their life, then they would go to the nearest safe country and apply for asylum there. UK is surrounded by safe countries and they would have traveled through them to illegally enter the UK. Just look at all the illegals in Calais, refusing to claim asylum in France as they want to live in the UK. Are they in fear of their lives in France?

If they have been granted refugee status in the UK, they can still live in the UK as long as they were honest in their asylum claim.

If their aim was to get UK citizenship, then (hopefully) they will now have to wait a long time for that. Or they may even decide to claim in France instead or in any other safe countries they were going to travel through, if they will give them citizenship quicker.
I actually wrote a wall of text trying to explain and then I re-read your post and stumbled across this:
If their aim was to get UK citizenship, then (hopefully) they will now have to wait a long time for that.
Not gonna bother with you, to be honest.

khaledadda

Post by khaledadda » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi
I taught I should share this info
I have seen solicitor today he told me that this new rules won't affect me as I have left the UK and applied for entry clearance , he said that it would affect me if I recieved the spouse visa within the UK wile I was overstayer
I will try and get it checked with diferent solicitor and see if I get the same advice

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 pm

I wish you all the best khaledadda and it would be very helpful to all of us here if you would share your further experience.
I am sometimes wrong.

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:41 am

Please see this post - i think this answers your question - Same situation - overstayed visitor visa for 10 months, got married, went back to the original country, applied for entry clearance and spouse visa, was granted ILR with no problem... But citizenship application was refused by HO for originally overstaying 10 months... Advice is good, but this is what happens in practice!

Re: Please help for refuse british application

Unread postby vales » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 am

Sorry. I have husband and they give IRL indefintite in 2013 my wife is british nationality, so they give me everything no problem! when apply for british nationalty they refuse because they say I am overstayed only 10 months in tourist visa before I marry my wife, but this is wrong because they give visa to come join my wife and then indefinite IRL!!! When I overtstay I go back to country to apply for my mariage visa no problem!! so why refuse this??? this is big msitake please help me to appeel to court or how to complains please THANK YOU

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 am

vales
Newly Registered

Post by vales » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 pm

hi khaledadda a please my friend give me the number of the lawyer, is it very good? they make mistake for my British application too! How much do you pay him to make succes?

khaledadda

Post by khaledadda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Mrsbean

Thank you for the clarification

I see that the solicitor give me wrong advice!

In my case when the 10 years will start is it fom the day I left the UK wen I was overstayer or from the day I recieved my spouse visa?

Many Thanks

khaledadda

Post by khaledadda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Vales
I haven't applied for nuturalisation
The new requirement of Good Character unfortunatly affect all overstayer and there is no way out of it

vales
Newly Registered

Post by vales » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Thank you khaledadta. what is your lawyer? and how much? I find one expensive for £750, your lawyer is cheapest?

khaledadda

Post by khaledadda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi vales
As I said I haven't applied for my Nuturalisation

mrsbean

Post by mrsbean » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi khaledadda,

I believe the 10 years start from the day you left the UK as an overstayer. But I let other people on the forum correct me if I am wrong.

khaledadda

Post by khaledadda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Thank you Mrsbean

khaledadda

Post by khaledadda » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:17 am

Hi Vales

Can I ask you what they said on the refusal letter?
Also di they tell you wen you can apply again for nuturalisation?

Many Thanks

ryan1512lon

Post by ryan1512lon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:50 pm

khaledadda wrote:Hi Vales
I haven't applied for nuturalisation
The new requirement of Good Character unfortunatly affect all overstayer and there is no way out of it
Well i'm glad you've finally realised it!