ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP Approval - IED Application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rob911

WP Approval - IED Application

Post by rob911 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi All,

I hope I'm not duplicating a question that has been previously answered here. I have been a student in the UK on a normal Student Visa which ends at the end of October. I was successful with a job application and have also been forwarded my WP-IED letter and will be making an application for further leave to remain based on this. I have a slight concern, my passport expires in 2009 and my WP letter has approved 5 years from last week. As my passport will expire within the 5 years, will WP UK issue leave to remain till 2009 or will it be issued beyond this and I subsequently transfer my leave to my new passport in 2009?

Thanks
Rob

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Congratulations on securing WP, you should get full 5 years stamped on your passport, obviously when you renew your passport in 2009 you would need to have it attached with the old one.

You can transfer you FLR stamp on your new passport if you want to (which will cost you money) but there is not legal requirement for you to do that
Magsi

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Cheers for that, came back from holiday and found the IED done by my employer. So I get a full 5 years regardless of the expiry of my passport? The transfer to my new passport in 2009 would probably have a fee and it would be the remainder of the 5 years?

Without being ahead of myself, I am also interested in applying for ILR at a later stage. I am in my 7th year of continuous legal residence as a student. I start work as soon as I get my further leave to remain done, hence transferring to a WP (in the coming week). Would this mean after 3 years of work (ie. 7 as a student and 3 on my new WP = 10 legal years) would I qualify for ILR? or would I have to spend the 5 years on my WP before applying for ILR? I read somewhere that the 10 years may have to be in the same category (ie. student etc) Thanks

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:19 pm

rob911 wrote:Cheers for that, came back from holiday and found the IED done by my employer. So I get a full 5 years regardless of the expiry of my passport? The transfer to my new passport in 2009 would probably have a fee and it would be the remainder of the 5 years?

Without being ahead of myself, I am also interested in applying for ILR at a later stage. I am in my 7th year of continuous legal residence as a student. I start work as soon as I get my further leave to remain done, hence transferring to a WP (in the coming week). Would this mean after 3 years of work (ie. 7 as a student and 3 on my new WP = 10 legal years) would I qualify for ILR? or would I have to spend the 5 years on my WP before applying for ILR? I read somewhere that the 10 years may have to be in the same category (ie. student etc) Thanks

Yes when you transfer the FLR stamp on a new passport they should stamp for the remainder of the 5 years.

You should be able to apply for ILR under 10 year long residency after 3 years ensuring you apply under 10 years residency and not based on WP. As long as its 10 year law full residence it doesnt matter and it doesnt have to be in the same category
Magsi

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks Magsi, that makes a whole lot of sense. I was actually going to try and renew my passport before applying but if I get the full 5 years regardless , then i won't bother till '09.

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Could anyone tell me the process of changing employment after an IED has been issued and I have another job offer with a different employer. I am still with the employer who originally processed my work permit.

I also wanted to find out when making an application for ILR, what is the maximum days I would be allowed to have been out of country, as the new employer would be sending me to overseas projects and I would spend a considerable amount of time outside the UK.

Slightly confused at the mo so any help will be greatly appreciated

rob911

Post by rob911 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:31 pm

Can anyone give some advice oon the above?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:56 pm

If you have another job offer then the employer has to apply for a work permit, and when it is approved you need to get new LTR.

There is no maximum number, however, if you are more than 6 months out of the country in one go you will have problems, and if you are out of the UK for such a large proportion of the time that it may be considered that you are no longer resident in the UK then you will be refused. I would say more than 20 months in 5 years will cause problems.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks. Basically, I currently have a job (employer who applied for IED) and have received a 2nd job offer and want to take the 2nd offer up. I have not yet applied for my FLR based on WP-IED issed from Employer 1 as I have leave to remain to end of October. Is it too much of a gamble to wait for new employer to obtain IED and then apply for FLR with them (as opposed to ending up having to do it twice)? An alternative would be at the end of my leave to go for the IGS and then work permit next year? I have my IED Letter from my current employer with was approved for 60 months.

Maybe I should stick with the same employer for a while before moving on. Any thoughts, suggestions??

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm

rob911 wrote: Maybe I should stick with the same employer for a while before moving on. Any thoughts, suggestions??

I personaly suggest you do, It is becoming increasingly difficult to get WP these days, with new Tier system being introduced soon who knows what will happend next year.

So my suggestion would be to take current job.
Magsi

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:33 am

Cheers for the suggestion.

I will most likely be sticking with the job and applying for my flr the coming week. I've been through the form and come across the question - are you currently working. I am on a student visa and will therefore be switching into work permit employment. Having read through the guidelines, although my employer allowed me to start work and then go to the Crydon PEO for my flr, I gather from the guidelines that I was only supposed to start work after getting the flr (if on student visa currently). Am I right to assume this? or should I have not started the job (as I already have) till after getting flr??

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:42 am

I beleive there was a time (in 2004) when you were suppose to start work only after getting FLR and you couldnt start only based on work permit approval letter, However i think it was changed but i am not 100% sure
Magsi