ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement status and British citizenship help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stirphil
Newly Registered

Settlement status and British citizenship help

Post by Stirphil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:04 am

Morning everyone,
I tried typing different searches but none completely answer my questions,
here is the situation:
I'm a French national married to a British national for 9 years now, we were married in the UK but lived in France until Jan. 4th 2013 date on which we settled in the UK with intention to stay there. Our daughter got her British passport last year, and my wife thinks it'd be time for me to join the rest of the family in that regard.
I am a student at the local university, i am on the electoral roll since early 2013 and have already voted, have a national insurance number, bank account etc.
The different posts help and explain a lot, but in the end some contradict the previous one.
We would like your help in understanding what exactly is my status. Settlement wise, do I need to apply for ILR or just wait? There is the three years rule for applying to British citizenship which apparently is added to five years of residence, but another post suggest that permanent residence can be asked one year after marriage to a British citizen...we are very confused.
Thank you very much for your help and advice,
Phil

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Settlement status and British citizenship help

Post by milan69 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 pm

You need to be married to BC, have been UK resident for the last 3 years and hold ILR/PR in order to apply.
I am sometimes wrong.

Stirphil
Newly Registered

Post by Stirphil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer, I'll have a look into the ILR now and the paper work/proofs required, and figure which is right on the number of years...as this is not very clear
thanks again

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:33 pm

5 years UK residency required before qualifying for PR = 2018. Immediately after being granted PR you would be able to apply for BC if you are married to a British Citizen.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Stirphil
Newly Registered

Post by Stirphil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks a lot Casa