ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship without family members

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vspv
Newly Registered

Citizenship without family members

Post by vspv » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:39 am

Hi,
April 2013we got our ILR, and we were eligible for citizenship since last year . I m planning to apply citizenship for me and my daughter now. Since my wife was not in uk in March/April 2010 thus would not be able to apply citizenship for her.
1.when I apply for citizenship then does my wife need to apply any other visa , or she will be fine with her ILR-dependent for another 1 year before she applies for citizenship??
2. Does my daughter is good to apply citizenship along with me considering my wife will not apply for citizenship?
3. Is My understanding of my wife being not eligible for citizenship correct as she was on holidays and was not in uk exactly 5 years back?

Thanks. Your response will definitely help me.

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: Citizenship without family members

Post by milan69 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:39 am

1. If your wife has ILR she does not need any other permit.
3. if your wife has been resident in the UK for the last 5 year plus 1 year ILR she can apply for naturalisation.Being on holiday is not a problem. Have in mind that when you apply you must have been present in the UK on the same day 5 years ago.
I am sometimes wrong.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:04 pm

vspv wrote: 2. Does my daughter is good to apply citizenship along with me considering my wife will not apply for citizenship?
How old is your daughter? Where was she born?
Both these questions will determine her eligibility to apply with you.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:08 pm

How old is your daughter? Where was she born?
Both these questions will determine her eligibility to apply with you.
Not relevant as the whole family have ILR according to the OP. Unless the OP would like to clarify what he means by 'ILR dependent'

The child could apply with her father as the mother does have settled status if what OP states is correct.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vspv
Newly Registered

Post by vspv » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks Friends for your reply.
1. I might have used ILR dependent loosely. We all got standard ILR after our stay here in UK for 5 year
2. My daughter was born in India in April 2007.

Based on your response I can make out that Husband and daughter can a appy together and wife can apply later on.

Milan,
Yes my wife has been resident in the UK for the last 5 year plus 2 years ILR(total almost 7 years) but she was not in UK for 3 months(March April and May) in 2010 (5 years back)..It seems my wife can apply for naturalisation only after May 2015.

Thanks
Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 pm

You and your daughter are good to go then. Wife will need to wait.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Sone one help please .. For Naturalisation ,

Is 5 Years + 1 year ILR Is the requirement ?
Or
5 years which include 1 year ILR is the requirement ?

I have 5 + 1 year , but My wife got ILR on the basis of 3 years in UK ,and she will have 5 years total which includes 1 year ILR , can she apply ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Rajuk09 wrote:Sone one help please .. For Naturalisation ,

Is 5 Years + 1 year ILR Is the requirement ?
Or
5 years which include 1 year ILR is the requirement ?

I have 5 + 1 year , but My wife got ILR on the basis of 3 years in UK ,and she will have 5 years total which includes 1 year ILR , can she apply ?
Naturalisation is based on 5 years residence counting backwards from date of application and must include 12 months on ILR (different if married to a BC, which your wife is not). Make sure that your wife was physically present exactly 5 years ago to the day that HO receives your application, if she was not, it will be refused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vspv
Newly Registered

Post by vspv » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi
Pl suggest if I should apply Naturalisation for my daughters now or should I wait.
1. We all have ILR- issued in April 2013.
2. My Older daughter was born in India in 2007 and also she was not in UK at the start of 5 years (March 2010) as well as at the start of 3 years(March 2012).
3. Little one was born in india in 2009 and also she was not in UK at the start of 5 years (March 2010) as well as at the start of 3 years(March 2012).

Both have around 180 day absent in last 3 years. Pl suggest if there is any risk of gett their application rejected. I'm applying for British Citizenship along with my daughters; My wife will not be applying Citizenship now as she was not present at the start of 5 year. My wife has ILR.
What category will it be in form (Ans to Question 1 in Form) for my daughter's application? Will it be Section 3(5) or is it 3(1)?

Regards
VS.

vspv
Newly Registered

Post by vspv » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Dear Experts,
Pl provide your view on below request.
Regards
VS
Hi
Pl suggest if I should apply Naturalisation for my daughters now or should I wait.
1. We all have ILR- issued in April 2013.
2. My Older daughter was born in India in 2007 and also she was not in UK at the start of 5 years (March 2010) as well as at the start of 3 years(March 2012).
3. Little one was born in india in 2009 and also she was not in UK at the start of 5 years (March 2010) as well as at the start of 3 years(March 2012).

Both have around 180 day absent in last 3 years. Pl suggest if there is any risk of gett their application rejected. I'm applying for British Citizenship along with my daughters; My wife will not be applying Citizenship now as she was not present at the start of 5 year. My wife has ILR.
What category will it be in form (Ans to Question 1 in Form) for my daughter's application? Will it be Section 3(5) or is it 3(1)?

Regards
VS

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:42 pm

I think 1 and 2 answered already by CR001 :
CR001 wrote:You and your daughter are good to go then. Wife will need to wait.
Rest first of all please go through this link and go to relevant links therein as well please, let us know if there's anything missing.

vspv
Newly Registered

Post by vspv » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks fwd079. I was little confused about residential requirement for children after reading the guide. But it seems I need to apply as per 3(1). and As stated in link shared by you that there is no residential requirement if child is born abroad. it is irrelevant whether child was in UK 3 yrs before or 5 Yrs before as long as child is under 13 yrs.
Link
If application under section 3(1) (children born abroad) - There are no residential requirements for children under 13 years old.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Best of luck. :)