ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can we marry after moving to Europe, for my fiance to stay?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ComatosePen
Newly Registered

Can we marry after moving to Europe, for my fiance to stay?

Post by ComatosePen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:32 am

I'm a UK citizen and I'm planning on going to live in Europe soon. Possibly either Portugal or Spain. I want my fiance (who is from the USA) to live with me there. I know that in order for her to have legal residence there with me, she needs to be registered as my spouse.

My question is, do I need to be married first in order to legally have my fiance live with me in Europe, or can I marry her once she gets here? And if I can marry her once she gets to Europe, could she come on a tourist visa? That would be our preferred, plan if it is possible.

Once she is in Europe, how easy or possible would it be to get married there? What would it involve? (the wedding itself is not an issue since we are not really into ceremonies, but just the legal stuff and paperwork). I'm worried about her getting to Europe and then having it be too hard or impossible for her to marry or stay there with me.

Is it a better idea to try to marry her outside of the EU first?
(Also, we are both female, which I'm not sure makes it difficult for us to carry out our plan.)

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Can we marry after moving to Europe, for my fiance to st

Post by ALKB » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 pm

ComatosePen wrote:I'm a UK citizen and I'm planning on going to live in Europe soon. Possibly either Portugal or Spain. I want my fiance (who is from the USA) to live with me there. I know that in order for her to have legal residence there with me, she needs to be registered as my spouse.

My question is, do I need to be married first in order to legally have my fiance live with me in Europe, or can I marry her once she gets here? And if I can marry her once she gets to Europe, could she come on a tourist visa? That would be our preferred, plan if it is possible.

Once she is in Europe, how easy or possible would it be to get married there? What would it involve? (the wedding itself is not an issue since we are not really into ceremonies, but just the legal stuff and paperwork). I'm worried about her getting to Europe and then having it be too hard or impossible for her to marry or stay there with me.

Is it a better idea to try to marry her outside of the EU first?
(Also, we are both female, which I'm not sure makes it difficult for us to carry out our plan.)
Whether you can marry on a visitor visa (or visa waiver in her case) depends on the legislation of the country you want to get married in.

For example, in the UK it's not allowed (but some people succeed), in Germany it's a kind of grey area but very complicated, in Denmark it's relatively easy and possible, etc.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can we marry after moving to Europe, for my fiance to st

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 am

is actually permitted to marry in the UK while on a visitor visa although Immigration Rules would say it shouldn't be your intention when you enter as a visitor.
From experience, (although as a resident not a visitor) Spain is particularly slow in processing paperwork for a marriage between non-nationals.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.