ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for Citizenship as A8 National

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

KateKop
Newly Registered

Application for Citizenship as A8 National

Post by KateKop » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi,

I really hope someone is able to help me - I'm really confused about the qualifying criteria required for British citizenship application, despite looking through the forum and Guide & Booklet AN.

I was born in Poland but have lived in the UK for the last 23 years, from the age of 4. I studied in the UK, obtained a law degree and post-grad law degree and have been in full time employment since August 2009. I was sent a National Insurance card/number when I was 16 and have been, as far as I'm aware, all legal and above board.

I now want to apply for British citizenship as an EEA National, however as Poland is an A8 Member State, I have been told I should have registered under the Workers Registration Scheme from the time when I finished studying until the time the WRS ended. Unfortunately, I did not do this nor do I have indefinite leave to remain.

I've now been told by the Home Office that in order to qualify as an EEA worker for the purposes of citizenship I now have to wait until May 2016 to apply as this will mean 5 years will have passed since the time the WRS ended.

My first question is, surely having been issued a NI number, I would have had some sort of eligibility to work here, without having to have had registered under the WRS? As I was working in the legal sector, surely my employers would have had some due diligence in ensuring this and pulled me up on anything that wasn't squeaky clean?

I'm fully aware ignorance is no defence but all I know is that I grew up here, went to school, obtained my degree and have been working for both public (NHS Legal Services) and private sector since...now I feel like I've been working illegitimately, the past 20+ years of my life do not count for anything and I have to wait another year before I can apply to become a British citizen!

Anyone who can offer any pointers on this would be most appreciated!

Kate.

zonkkk

Re: Application for Citizenship as A8 National

Post by zonkkk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Did you come to live here with your parents? What sort of residency documents did they have?

KateKop
Newly Registered

Post by KateKop » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi,

yes I did. I'm not sure exactly what documents they have/had at the time.

I know for definite that they have been working and paying tax/NI from the time we came to the UK and have been self employed for a number of years.

zonkkk

Post by zonkkk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:17 pm

I would check exactly what documents they had, you may find that you already have some type of document that confirms your status.
For example I received a registration certificate for my daughter 6 years ago which states "no restrictions on employment in the UK". Funnily enough, she was only 2 years old at the time.

Jaeger
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jaeger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 pm

KateKop wrote:Hi,

yes I did. I'm not sure exactly what documents they have/had at the time.

I know for definite that they have been working and paying tax/NI from the time we came to the UK and have been self employed for a number of years.
Check your status because it might save you a lot of headaches in the future.

If you had ILR before 01.05.2004 then you would be exempted from WRS registration :wink:

KateKop
Newly Registered

Post by KateKop » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Thank you both very much, I will speak to them and find out!