ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

children have no ILR - how to apply for BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NatIv
Newly Registered

children have no ILR - how to apply for BC

Post by NatIv » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Need some help and guidance and I would appreciate it if I could get some here, on this forum.
My situation is following:
arrived with husband in 2006, on non-EU passport (high skilled migration program)
in 2009 received a second EU citizenship (but not British)
in 2010 twins were born and they are also holders with dual citizenship (EU and non-EU, but are only holders of EU passports)
in 2011, me & my husband received ILR

we could have applied for BC a year after receiving the ILR, but because of the cost involved and not being a priority at that particular time, we haven't done anything about it until now.

my question now is how to proceed with the applications for all 4 of us.
I remember at the time of applying for ILR we looked into if we need to include children into the application or not, and it looked like the optimum option was no, because children, whose parents received ILR after they were born can apply for BC using a different type of application.
I can't seem to find now that info

Any help please?

thank you!
Nat

zeusmagnanimous

Re: children have no ILR - how to apply for BC

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:55 pm

See the section "Children" in the following topic.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 pm

You can register your children as British.
I am sometimes wrong.

NatIv
Newly Registered

Post by NatIv » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:18 pm

milan69 wrote:You can register your children as British.
zeusmagnanimous wrote:See the section "Children" in the following topic.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
thank you, guys!

NatIv
Newly Registered

Post by NatIv » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:27 pm

I don't know if I can post my next question still in this post, so sorry in advance if I need to open a new post

me & my husband passed the Life in UK test, but we haven't had any language tests, as I thought we are exempt from such requirements (HSMP judicial review)

However, after speaking to someone from Nationality Checking Service, I have big doubts about it, as this exemption applies when applying for ILR but not for BC

Could anyone please confirm if that's the case? And if so, what would be the quickest way of getting the required qualifications? Neither me or husband need a language course as such, and I was really hoping to submit my application not later than next week. :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:31 pm

immigration and citizenship law is different.

You will need English Level B1 for your citizenship application. The link below lists the approved test centres. Please note that this changes in April 2015 but the link includes both sets of lists (pre and post). You are looking at about £150 per person for the test and it is only a test, not a course. Not sure if you would get your results certificate in time though, best would be to check with whichever test provider you choose.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NatIv
Newly Registered

Post by NatIv » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:58 pm

CR001 wrote:immigration and citizenship law is different.

You will need English Level B1 for your citizenship application. The link below lists the approved test centres. Please note that this changes in April 2015 but the link includes both sets of lists (pre and post). You are looking at about £150 per person for the test and it is only a test, not a course. Not sure if you would get your results certificate in time though, best would be to check with whichever test provider you choose.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests
thank you!
wow, there are so many different tests!

this is what I found on their website

Cambridge English: Preliminary (PET) is the lowest level exam that we offer which is accepted by the Home Office for ILR and Citizenship requirements. Results for paper-based Cambridge English: Preliminary examinations are normally released around four to six weeks after the exam date. If you take the computer-based version of the exam, results are released after two weeks. Certificates are normally despatched around two to four weeks after the release of the results.

If you need the exam results more quickly, you might consider taking the computer-based version of the exam, or choose IELTS, for which results are released around 13 days after the exam date.

I have an IELTS certificate, but it's 6 or 7 years old one, so assume it's invalid now

Also, what are the changes from April 2015? If was I to go for the computer based version of the exam, or PET wouldn't I find myself in the position that the test is not valid any more after April 2015??

Really upset with all this last minute news :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:03 pm

I would do a test based on the approved test provides effective from 6th April.

What is your nationality? Do you and your partner have a degree taught in English??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NatIv
Newly Registered

Post by NatIv » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 pm

CR001 wrote:I would do a test based on the approved test provides effective from 6th April.

What is your nationality? Do you and your partner have a degree taught in English??
Looking through the list now and changes will apply from April. Still a bit confused about the test

We are both Moldavian nationals, holders of bachelor degree. The degree received back in Moldova, some of the subjects being in English and the diploma was issued in Romanian, Russian and English. Also have the letter from Naric confirming that the degree is equivalent to the bachelor degree in UK
Still, this would be classified as degree taught in English, would it?