ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What will happen to non-EEA wife if divorce?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fromdenmark

What will happen to non-EEA wife if divorce?

Post by fromdenmark » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi. I am from Denmark, and my wife is from the US. We currently live in the UK, and have done so for just over 2 years. If we divorce, will she be able to stay in the UK?

fromdenmark

Re: What will happen to non-EEA wife if divorce?

Post by fromdenmark » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Anyone? Did I post in the wrong section?
Thank you.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 am

fromdenmark wrote:Anyone? Did I post in the wrong section?
Thank you.
It depends of how long you guys have been married. If you have been married for at least 3 years, she would be able to retain residence rights. For more information, please check section 5.4 of the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... apter5.pdf

fromdenmark

Post by fromdenmark » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:44 pm

Hubba wrote: It depends of how long you guys have been married. If you have been married for at least 3 years, she would be able to retain residence rights. For more information, please check section 5.4 of the following document:

We have been married for just under 3 years at the moment. It will probably be 3 years by the time we figure out what to do, and if that is the solution.

So if I understand it correctly, she can stay as long as we have been married for 3 years, and lived at least 1 year in the UK, and she is working or looking for work (she currently works 8 hrs a week), even if I do not live in the UK anymore?

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:32 am

fromdenmark wrote:
Hubba wrote: It depends of how long you guys have been married. If you have been married for at least 3 years, she would be able to retain residence rights. For more information, please check section 5.4 of the following document:

We have been married for just under 3 years at the moment. It will probably be 3 years by the time we figure out what to do, and if that is the solution.

So if I understand it correctly, she can stay as long as we have been married for 3 years, and lived at least 1 year in the UK, and she is working or looking for work (she currently works 8 hrs a week), even if I do not live in the UK anymore?
What matters is how long you have been married before the divorce's decree absolute. She can stay here even if you don't live here anymore, as long as she's either working, looking for work, studying or as a self-sufficient (basically, as if she was exercising Treaty Rights).

fromdenmark

Post by fromdenmark » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:23 pm

Hubba wrote:
fromdenmark wrote:

What matters is how long you have been married before the divorce's decree absolute. She can stay here even if you don't live here anymore, as long as she's either working, looking for work, studying or as a self-sufficient (basically, as if she was exercising Treaty Rights).
Oh okay thank you. I was wondering... we got married in Denmark (where I am from) but live in the UK. Do we need to, or can we, do the divorce through Denmark, or does it need to be in the country we live in?

fatimahh
Member of Standing
Mood:
Guinea

Post by fatimahh » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 pm

So if I understand it correctly, she can stay as long as we have been married for 3 years, and lived at least 1 year in the UK, and she is working or looking for work (she currently works 8 hrs a week), even if I do not live in the UK anymore?[/quote

You will also be require to be present in the UK exercising treaty right from biginnig of divorce till divirce is finalise.
GOD BLESS!!!

fromdenmark

Post by fromdenmark » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:29 am

fatimahh wrote: You will also be require to be present in the UK exercising treaty right from biginnig of divorce till divirce is finalise.
Does that normally take a long time?