ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Category switch from Tier1(Main Applicant) to ILR Dependant

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eclairs

Category switch from Tier1(Main Applicant) to ILR Dependant

Post by eclairs » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello,

I have been searching through various forums on this topic, but didn't find any direct answer. Hope some of the senior members here can give me their valuable suggestions. Thanks.

My wife is on her own Tier1 general visa, and has been living in the UK for the past 4 years. I'm getting my ILR done in the next 3-4 months and wondering if I can make her as ILR dependant on my visa.. and apply for naturalisation later.

Is it possible to switch from Tier1 General(main applicant) to ILR dependant at all? If yes, will there be any issue in getting her naturalization done later?

Please advise.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Category switch from Tier1(Main Applicant) to ILR Depend

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Is it possible to switch from Tier1 General(main applicant) to ILR dependant at all?
Yes, but it will reset her qualifying time for ILR to zero and she will have to complete a new 5 year period on FLR(M) - Spouse visa/ILR Dependent. It will be quicker if she remains on her Tier 1.
If yes, will there be any issue in getting her naturalization done later?
She will only be able to apply for naturalisation once she has ILR after the new 5 years residence (if she switches to FLR(M). Even so, if she stays on her current visa, once she gets ILR and you are already British, then she could apply for naturalisation immediately as spouse of British Citizen.

If you are actually asking if she can apply for ILR with you, then no, she can't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eclairs

Post by eclairs » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

The reason why I am exploring this option is because my wife is falling short of a week(on top of the 28 days grace period) to qualify for her ILR. I've asked the question on this forum, but got mixed responses.

Someone said that she defo needs another exgtension, but others said that it is OK if I go with postal application with cheque payment. Do you think this approach would work?

I am a bit confused and concerned because the Tier1 extensions are going to be stopped this April.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 pm

When does her visa expire?

Why can she not extend her Tier visa before the cut off in April 2015?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eclairs

Post by eclairs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:54 am

Her visa expires in November this year. She could apply for an extension before 6th April, but I am trying to avoid an extension to save some money if the postal application route is safe to cover the 1 week shortfall.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:14 am

When does she meet the 5 years residence on her visa? What was the start date of her visa and when did she arrive in the UK?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Krish19
Mood:
India

Post by Krish19 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 am

Guys,
I just called UKBA and they clearly said they are only closing extensions for main applications from 6th apr 2015. Dependets can still extend under tier 1 general after 6th april .2015

Thanks,
Krish.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Krish19 wrote:Guys,
I just called UKBA and they clearly said they are only closing extensions for main applications from 6th apr 2015. Dependets can still extend under tier 1 general after 6th april .2015

Thanks,
Krish.
Not relevant to this post. OP is asking about his wife who has her own Tier 1.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

eclairs

Post by eclairs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 pm

CR001 wrote:When does she meet the 5 years residence on her visa? What was the start date of her visa and when did she arrive in the UK?
Hi, Her visa is expiring in October this year(not November like I said in my previous reply). Please see the dates below.

1st visa granted on 01-Dec-2010
Entered UK on 27-Dec-2010
1st extension granted on 26-Oct-2012
Current visa expires on 25-Oct-2015

As per my calculation the shortfall is 9 days....

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 am

eclairs wrote:
CR001 wrote:When does she meet the 5 years residence on her visa? What was the start date of her visa and when did she arrive in the UK?
Hi, Her visa is expiring in October this year(not November like I said in my previous reply). Please see the dates below.

1st visa granted on 01-Dec-2010
Entered UK on 27-Dec-2010
1st extension granted on 26-Oct-2012
Current visa expires on 25-Oct-2015

As per my calculation the shortfall is 9 days....
Any reason for the early extension? anyway I would not take the chance. Better to apply for an extension now.

eclairs

Post by eclairs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Early extension(9 days earlier than the last 28 days limit) was due to some family reasons, and unfortunately we got the extension from the application date, which resulted in 9 days shortfall for ILR eligibility.

Anyone here had been in similar situation with a very small shortfall for ILR and managed to get it without going for another extension? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.