ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

oci card query please

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

drpbalaji1960

oci card query please

Post by drpbalaji1960 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:06 am

i'm on ILR. my son couple of weeks old is british with british passport. planing to go to india.

am i right in saying i can't OCI card for my son, because i haven't got oci card. if i'm wrong can i apply for my son's OCI card. i had a look into the CGI birmingham website and i'm not able to understand it clearly and hence i would appreciate advice please.

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:42 pm

that's correct, as you are on ILR so you are not eligible for OCI yet hence the child can't apply for OCI on his own.

also for minors there is not much practical difference between an OCI and PIO. for a minor with OCI, you need to renew the OCI each time a new passport is acquired until the child turns 20. the minor with PIO is also exempted from registration with FRRO for stay beyond 6 months in India. so no significant benefit over the other.

drpbalaji1960

Post by drpbalaji1960 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks very much for the information

jazb
Newly Registered

Post by jazb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:10 pm

ban.s wrote:... for a minor with OCI, you need to renew the OCI each time a new passport is acquired until the child turns 20...
does this apply for PIO as well?

jazb
Newly Registered

Post by jazb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:20 am

jazb wrote:
ban.s wrote:... for a minor with OCI, you need to renew the OCI each time a new passport is acquired until the child turns 20...
anyone plz??

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am

jazb wrote:
jazb wrote:
anyone plz??
as far as i know that's not enforced for PIO card holders. they can use their new passport and carry the old passport and valid PIO card.

amanu123
Newly Registered

OCI card newborn

Post by amanu123 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi,

If both parents are on ILR and the baby has a British passport, can we apply for an OCI card for the baby. Is it required that the parents should also have OCI before applying for the baby?

Also, in case the parents are separated, what documents need to be supplied for the OCI. Do both parents' passports need to be submitted?

Thank you!!

ban.s

Re: oci card query please

Post by ban.s » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:41 pm

The rules have changed now, so the minor is eligible for OCI
OCI Applications for minor children
Minor children holding foreign nationality and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India or both or one parents are OCI card holder, are eligible for OCI Card.

If one of the parents of the minor children is/has been a Pakistani/Bangladeshi citizen, these children will not be eligible for OCI.