ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen and Non Eu Spouse... Moved to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mylink
Newly Registered

British Citizen and Non Eu Spouse... Moved to Ireland

Post by Mylink » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and looking for help.

I'm British born and my husband is a non eu and we've been married since 2012. He was working without any rights to and was caught with a false British passport and sentenced to prison 12month(I understand this shouldn't have been the case but we had really bad legal advice and representative) served half the sentence (6months)and has a criminal record. 4 years later he was asked to leave the uk, we fought and fought and we lost and he was removed late last year. We also have a newborn baby (a British) by birth. It's been a very difficult time these part few months without help... We've decided to relocate to Ireland.
I am now living in Ireland and trying to look for work since obtaining my ppsn 3weeks ago.

My questions are;

Can I apply for my husband to join me now even though I'm not yet working. (Not yet exercising treaty) the 3months visa. Everything I've read on here says I can but I was told by a lawyer that I needed to be working :(

Do We apply online for him or he applies at the vfs where he is?

We've been advised to disclose all immigration and criminal history... Will this delay the application? And How long roughly will the visa take to be issued.

Thank you.
Last edited by Mylink on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrestonLancs

Re: British Citizen and Non Eu Spouse... Moved to Ireland

Post by PrestonLancs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 pm

So, your husband was working using a fake British passport, and this makes the British system cruel?

Mylink
Newly Registered

Post by Mylink » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:21 pm

@PrestonLancs
I've been waiting for the "sarcy" comments... So thanks! But, honestly I came here for help so your response is Futile! ,

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Sure there is no point in discussing/judging here was was done in the past, but I would also strongly suggest to refrain from calling the system cruel after getting caught seriously cheating it (forging a passport is not a small thing and people here who spent a lot of time and efforts doing things by the books and never considered cheating might understandably feel insulted - especially if in the end they had to leave the country while cheaters were staying).

In any case:
- You can have your husband apply for a visa to join you but it would also recommend waiting until you have a job: it will make the case more straight forward, and also if he joins you before you get the job and you don't find one within 3 months he will have to leave - so waiting until you have secured the job might reduce some stress in case it takes more than 3 months to find one.
- Visa application is first done online, and the website will then give you a cover sheet to print and bring to the embassy of his country of residence along with supporting documents.
- UK and Ireland immigration authorities are close partners and do share their databases. So more likely than not if you don't tell them about your husband's history they will find out anyway. Having said that, EU laws make it very difficult for them to deny a visa based on previous immigration history. So if you are asked to give details I would definitely suggest to be honest about it - they will find out anyway and it shouldn't have an impact.
- There is no set timeline for the visa processing time but it should be a few weeks (it won't take 6 months or something silly)

Mylink
Newly Registered

Post by Mylink » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:11 pm

@Jeupsy,

Thank you for your response and yes I completely stand correct re- the "cruel system" comment. I just wrote out of pure anguish of my situation.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 pm

No worries, all the best with the application.

And btw I forgot to mention ... the visa application website is here: https://www.visas.inis.gov.ie/

You want to choose type C visa, and the reason for travel is "Family member of EU/EEA/Swiss citizen (spouse)".

What you are applying for if you pick this is a 3 months short stay visa which allows your husband to come to Ireland and gives him some time to get his paperwork sorted if he wants to stay longer. Once he is in Ireland and you have a job, he then needs to apply for a residence card using this form: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%20E ... %20EU1.pdf

Once the residence card application is accepted, he will be issued with a residence card that allows him to work in Ireland.

Before he comes it is a good idea to review the supporting documents you will have to attach with the residence card application and make sure you have everything ready.

Mylink
Newly Registered

Post by Mylink » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Thank you for all your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Mylink
Newly Registered

Post by Mylink » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped with my husband's application. We were reunited in June and happily settled in Here. Sorry for the delay in updating the group. My health has not been the best.
Thank you so much Jeupsy. I'm very grateful x