ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leicester_boy
Mood:
United Kingdom

English Language Test

Post by leicester_boy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 am

Hi all,

Sorry for another quick question. I had satisfied the English Language Requirment when I received ILR in Sept 2013.

To be able to satisfy the English Language Requirement for Naturalisation I understand I need to submit - a) Life in the UK Test and b) Letter from UK NARIC confirming qualification is comparable to UK Bachelors / Masters equivalend AND the course was taught in English.

But I was reading the guidance notes for Naturalisation form and came across this:-

Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK

Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor;
and either

Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree)

A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming your qualification is comparable to a UK degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was taught in English.

I am confused about the print out from the Points Based Calculator part? Does this mean I don't nee a UK NARIC certificate?

Thanks All.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Test

Post by fwd079 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:34 pm

You do not need a print-out if you have:
a Letter from UK NARIC confirming qualification is comparable to UK Bachelors / Masters equivalent AND the course was taught in English.
If your NARIC letter does not confirm your degree was taught in English, then you have one of the following options:
1. A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English

[OR]

2. An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree)
A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming your qualification is comparable to a UK degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was taught in English.
I did a simple B1 level English exam at my time, but I have see many here submitting a print-out from PBS calculator.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

leicester_boy
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by leicester_boy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks fwd079,

I have a UK NARIC comparision certificate confirming my overseas Masters qualification is equivalent to UK Masters degree. However, the comparision certificate does not confirm it was taught in English. Hence I guess I can use the PBS calculator as per your advice.

A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English

But I wondering if the PBS Calculator shows the level of English? I cannot see this any where on the PBS calculator.

I was really stressed today as I applied to UK NARIC for English Language Assesment but they asked me to get a letter from University of Mumbai to confirm degree was taught in English.

I am really confused now. I have a Life in the UK pass certificate.

I want to apply before 6th April when the fees go up.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance..

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:21 am

leicester_boy wrote: But I wondering if the PBS Calculator shows the level of English? I cannot see this any where on the PBS calculator..
From what I recall the English language section in the PBS calculator is the place where you can establish whether you have a qualification that is comparable to a UK Bachelors degree taught in English. - this would be one means by which you can confirm the level of English you have.

leicester_boy
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by leicester_boy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:31 pm

thanks cs95tdg

I guess you are referring to below from the points based calculator;-

In this section, you must score ten points for your English language skills at the time of application or your application will be refused.

If you are from a majority English speaking country you can automatically claim ten points for English language skills.

If you are not from a majority English speaking country, you can claim points either for an English language test or a degree taught in English equivalent to a Bachelor's degree or above in the UK.

How would you like to claim points for English language skills?
I am a national from a majority English speaking country
I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English
I have passed an approved English language test
I have already proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application
I do not want to claim points for English language skills (your application will be refused, unless your assessment refers to a settlement application - see Help below)

Thanks