ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MBel
Newly Registered

When to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain?

Post by MBel » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Hello,

I have been living in the UK since 2006 under the following categories:
- 2006 to 2011: Student Visa
- 2011 to 2013: Post-Study Work
- 2013 to 2016 : Tier 2

My question is when is it better to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain?
I have two options, I can apply in 2016 under the Long Residence route (since I would have been legally residing here for 10 years) but my worry is that I have spent a year abroad as part of my studies during 2009-2010, I lived in Canada. So I am not sure whether this would affect my application.

The second option, is that I wait until I make a new Tier 2 visa from 2016 to 2018 and apply in 2018, as I would have been working under Tier 2 for 5 years, but this option is more time consuming and would imply that I have to stick to the same employer for 5 years...

Which option is the best? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

MBel

vinny

Re: When to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain?

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:02 pm

If you had a single absence that was longer than six months, then your continuous residence under Long Residence may be broken.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.