ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation good character

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ozzy
Newly Registered

naturalisation good character

Post by Ozzy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:38 am

First of all ,I would like to thank you for all your time and efforts in giving advice and help.

My question is as follows ( I would please like your thought on it)

I was convicted of driving without insurance on a provisional licence when I was 18 ,in January 2012.So I went to court and was fined £160 with 6 points for IN10. LC10 code had no points. The judge thanked me for being honest straight away .I understand it will be spent in January 2016.
I was young and immature ,there is no excuses though I am still guilty of it.
Generally speaking I am not of a criminal type of violent type.I have great ambitions of becoming an airline pilot ,I help in the local community by volunteering in teaching GCSE students in mathematics .I am also studying Aeronautical Engineering at University Of Salford.Not to forget to mention,I arrived in the UK in 2008 with indefinite leave to enter endorsed on my entry clearance document.Which is essentially indefinite leave to remain.I have since held a convention travel document and biometric residence permit(Not traveled yet though since 2008)

I have been advised by my solicitor that there is a way around it provided we write a good covering letter outlining that I realised my offence ,that I regret it and I am helping in the community etc.I am also a cupping therapist offering free treatments to parents or individuals on low income.
I have also acquired three character references which explain in detail that I am of good character and that the offence was a "one off" kind of thing.
Do not get me wrong it is very un responsible to drive uninsured and I have been insured ever since that conviction as well as no other offences whatsoever .
I am willing to risk the 906 pounds and apply for naturalisation.I have read other cases where they have been successful.
Please may you shed some light on this case.

Best Regards 
Ozzy

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: naturalisation good character

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:54 am

There is no such thing as a spent conviction in this context. However. A non-custodial sentenance is only generally a bar for 3 years. So regarding character you've been ok since Jan 2015. The Solicitor is either incompetent or trying to swindle you. You do not need any character references (but for the standard references). Do read the FAQs where it is explained.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ozzy
Newly Registered

Post by Ozzy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks for your reply.
So are you suggesting I should not apply until after January 2016 ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:15 am

Amber wrote:There is no such thing as a spent conviction in this context. However. A non-custodial sentenance is only generally a bar for 3 years. So regarding character you've been ok since Jan 2015. The Solicitor is either incompetent or trying to swindle you. You do not need any character references (but for the standard references). Do read the FAQs where it is explained.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

SSWSZ
Member of Standing

Post by SSWSZ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:32 pm

AMBER is saying you are ok to apply any time now .no need to wait till 2016
ss

Ozzy
Newly Registered

Post by Ozzy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:19 pm

My sincere apologies. The conviction date is January 2013.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:55 am

Then wait till January 2016. An exceptional grant is unlikely, unless there are exceptional reasons.

skilachi

Post by skilachi » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:08 pm

I would suggest you wait till Jan 2016 when the 3yrs has lapsed. At least you would have fulfill that requirement of waiting until 3yrs has lapsed.

If you apply now and declare the conviction, HO might reject your application thereby wasting 1K and maybe banned for another 10yrs or they can hold on to your application till Jan 2016 before deciding on it, which for you will be hell waiting for 5-6months with no news.

My 3yrs of conviction just lapsed on Aug 10th 2015 so now will be sending my docs thru NCS next week.

Ozzy
Newly Registered

Post by Ozzy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:19 am

I decided I will wait until January 2016 .It's around the corner anyway.
Skilachi thanks for the advice. How did your application go?