ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendering Indian passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mani2013

Surrendering Indian passport

Post by mani2013 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Dear members,

I was an Indian citizen and got my naturalisation done and now I have applied for my British passport and I have booked my Interview on the 1st of April. I am wondering whether I need to wait for my passport to arrive for my indian passport to be surrendered or Can I surrender my passport now as I am waiting for the British passport application to be processed?

As I am traveling to India soon, want to get my OCI done asap (to save applying for a tourist visa otherwise). Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Surrendering Indian passport

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 am

This is a question for the Other Countries forum. Can the mods please move it there?

To the best of my memory, the Indian surrender process requires a British passport number. So, you will need to get a British passport before applying for the surrender certificate. Only once you get the surrender certificate can you apply for OCI. So the two can not be applied for in parallel.

As a former Indian citizen, you can apply for an X-surprisingly, not an exit, but an entry-visa. It is multiple entry for five years and costs the same as OCI, but is issued in 2-4 working days. OCI can take upto 6 weeks.

ramesh66754
Newly Registered

Post by ramesh66754 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 am

I went to surrender my Indian passport (VFS Goswell road), I was turned down at the gate as I did not have appointment.

1) is it necessary to take appointment to surrender Indian passport?
2)what do I do now?
3)I do not see any link in VFS website regarding appointments to surrender Indian passport, please do paste link if there is any.

Thanks

Ramesh

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:16 pm

ramesh66754 wrote:I went to surrender my Indian passport (VFS Goswell road), I was turned down at the gate as I did not have appointment.

1) is it necessary to take appointment to surrender Indian passport?
2)what do I do now?
3)I do not see any link in VFS website regarding appointments to surrender Indian passport, please do paste link if there is any.

Thanks

Ramesh
Plenty of information in this thread.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

mani2013

Post by mani2013 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Thank you secret.simon.