ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused on how to proceed after Marriage visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

meb4ne1
United Kingdom

Confused on how to proceed after Marriage visa

Post by meb4ne1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi,

I'm kind of lost. I have tried reading through https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility but can't seem to figure out where my situation fits.

My wife is a US national. She applied for a 'Join family living permanently in the UK' (or marriage/fiance) visa. She arrived in the UK last month and we plan to get married at the beginning of April 2015.

Once we get married, I do not know how to proceed. All the documents and guidance notes talk about at least 2 years of proof of relationship (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Routes.pdf)

I'm confused how can bring 'six' documents of joint names in a few months. It'll be really helpful if someone has a list of documents that HO accepts. I'd also like to know which form to apply on as well.

I'm a ILR holder and have applied for British citizenship (awaiting approval).

Thank you.

Zack1234
United Kingdom

Re: Confused on how to proceed after Marriage visa

Post by Zack1234 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:36 pm

2 years of proof is for unmarried couple so it won't apply to you as you're getting married.

Make sure the visa your partner is applying for allows her to get married in the UK.

Zack1234
United Kingdom

Post by Zack1234 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:38 pm

meb4ne1 wrote: I'm confused how can bring 'six' documents of joint names in a few months.
1. Put your names on tenancy agreement.
2. Council tax on your names.
3. Gas and electricity bills on your names.
4. Water bills on your names.
5. Joint Bank statement.

wont take more than 2 months to get these documents.

I dont know what you can use as the 6th document.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:04 pm

You don't need the joint documents. This is for spouse visas being extended at the 2.5 year stage showing co-habitation or for unmarried partners as evidence of a 2 year relationship. You do however have to provide evidence of adequate accommodation as the marital home and financial documents showing that you meet the yearly financial minimum income level. Basically, the same evidence you provided for the fiance visa application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.