ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civil partner dilemma

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Easylistener
Newly Registered

Civil partner dilemma

Post by Easylistener » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:30 pm

I am a British Citizen returning to the UK to work from July 1. My civil partner and I had planned to apply for a visa for him to join me in the UK but under the Financial Requirements it is unlikely that the money I receive for doing my job will be regarded as salaried income as half is treated as 'housing allowance' which would appear to be excluded. So we are exploring the possibility of him coming to the UK as a visitor with me for six months and then returning to Brazil to make the application once I have worked for six months and fulfilled the requirements in the UK. We have visited the UK beforetogether. Does anybody envisage any difficulty with this strategy? Also, how could we evidence that as well as living together for almost two years in Brazil that we have continued to live together for six months in the UK?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Civil partner dilemma

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:34 pm

Visit visa is not a residence visa - could run into issues if questioned about intent.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Easylistener
Newly Registered

Post by Easylistener » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:28 pm

Clearly, the intent would be to visit. When we visited together last year there was barely a question asked once they had established that we were together. We would arrive with return tickets not least because to buy a one-way ticket is four times the price of a return! I can't see any other alternative other than for us to be separated for six to eight months.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:55 pm

Easylistener wrote:Clearly, the intent would be to visit. When we visited together last year there was barely a question asked once they had established that we were together. We would arrive with return tickets not least because to buy a one-way ticket is four times the price of a return! I can't see any other alternative other than for us to be separated for six to eight months.
Intent is to show "...that we have continued to live together for six months in the UK?" surely...?

That's not 'a visit'...

Easylistener
Newly Registered

Post by Easylistener » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Good point, Wanderer. What would you suggest?

Sonye

Post by Sonye » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:14 pm

I have a friend who was in the same situation as you. All they had to show was proof that they were together by providing copy of travel tickets, itemised phone bill to prove communication, photos etc. and they had no problems at all. Her partner finally got the visa after about 6months. So I don't think it will be a problem for you. As long as you don't use the 6 month visit as proof of continued live together

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Easylistener wrote:Good point, Wanderer. What would you suggest?
Like you said, you'd probably not be stopped and questioned but you need to 'get your stories straight!' Obviously if you partner goes on about living together for six months etc to the IO that will cause problems.

Best not to lie obviously, but ok to answer selectively! i.e. emphasise it's a visit, both intend to go back to Brazil etc, need to see family, all that.

Whilst a visit visa is what it is, the IO will seek to ascertain (if stopped) that the entrant is a 'genuine visitor' so you need to cover that even if only in your own mind so you don't get tripped up.