ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arindam02

Naturalisation questions

Post by arindam02 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:17 am

We will be applying to naturalisation on the 16th April via NSC and my wife has not yet changed her original surname. All her official documents (i.e. passport, BRP etc) are in original surname, hence we are just wondering if there is a possibility to change the surname while making an application for the naturalisation. Can we go with post-marriage surname in the application form and submit the marriage certificate to substantiate this. If this is not possible, can she apply for British passport using her original surname and get this changed afterwards. What’s the best possible option. Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Change of Surname

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Personally not to complicate/delay matters, I would get the Naturalisation through, then get a deed poll and change name, then send changed name and marriage certificate etc with Passport application.

You can even ask for replacement certificate afterwards by sending deed poll etc. But I'd keep things simple and straightforward and corroboratable until you get Naturalised.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

arindam02

Post by arindam02 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:08 pm

fwd079 wrote:Personally not to complicate/delay matters, I would get the Naturalisation through, then get a deed poll and change name, then send changed name and marriage certificate etc with Passport application.

You can even ask for replacement certificate afterwards by sending deed poll etc. But I'd keep things simple and straightforward and corroboratable until you get Naturalised.
Thanks a lot, it makes sense to me...

jamesjames

Post by jamesjames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 pm

arindam02 wrote:
fwd079 wrote:Personally not to complicate/delay matters, I would get the Naturalisation through, then get a deed poll and change name, then send changed name and marriage certificate etc with Passport application.

Your wife does not need a deed poll to change her surname to yours when applying for her British passport. All she needs is a Marriage certificate.
My wife has just done that and there was no hassle. The guidance for passport application clearly lists the options when changin names.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:47 am

jamesjames wrote: Your wife does not need a deed poll to change her surname to yours when applying for her British passport. All she needs is a Marriage certificate.
My wife has just done that and there was no hassle. The guidance for passport application clearly lists the options when changin names.
Interesting. I believe you are pointing here:
Get it right
• Include middle names in the name section
the name you enter should match your previous passport. If you have never held a passport before, it should match your birth, marriage or nationality certificate. If it doesn’t, your application could be delayed.
• If you do not have enough space to write your name or contact details (for example, you have a long surname or a long email address), please use section 8 of the application form
The underline is something of a trouble I have read here before. Because there is no previous UK passport in same name. But if your case was identical to the member asking the question, then the coloured part did go in your favour and worth following in my view.

arindam02

Post by arindam02 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 am

jamesjames wrote:
arindam02 wrote:

Your wife does not need a deed poll to change her surname to yours when applying for her British passport. All she needs is a Marriage certificate.
That's really great! Do we need to submit original Marriage Certificate when applying for her British Passport.

jamesjames

Post by jamesjames » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

That's really great! Do we need to submit original Marriage Certificate when applying for her British Passport.[/quote]

Yes, you do, same way you have to submit your original naturalisation certificate. They will return all documents to you.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:57 am

arindam02 wrote: That's really great! Do we need to submit original Marriage Certificate when applying for her British Passport.
This thread tells folks are having problems with different names etc. Please take a look before making a decision.

arindam02

Post by arindam02 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 am

fwd079 wrote:
arindam02 wrote: That's really great! Do we need to submit original Marriage Certificate when applying for her British Passport.
This thread tells folks are having problems with different names etc. Please take a look before making a decision.
Thanks for giving me a heads up. I'm now completed perplexed and don't know what is the right way to fix this. Shall we change the surname while applying for naturalisation or shall we make a deed poll and submit this while applying for British Passport. It’s very confusing now.

What if she gets the British Passport with her maiden name and change the surname after she gets her the passport. Will that work.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 pm

arindam02 wrote: Thanks for giving me a heads up. I'm now completed perplexed and don't know what is the right way to fix this. Shall we change the surname while applying for naturalisation or shall we make a deed poll and submit this while applying for British Passport. It’s very confusing now.

What if she gets the British Passport with her maiden name and change the surname after she gets her the passport. Will that work.
Seems like they ignore changes etc and go by maiden name regardless, check this very recent approval.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 pm

arindam02 wrote:
fwd079 wrote:
Thanks for giving me a heads up. I'm now completed perplexed and don't know what is the right way to fix this. Shall we change the surname while applying for naturalisation or shall we make a deed poll and submit this while applying for British Passport. It’s very confusing now.

Just a caution as you may fall into a similar scenario to my wife, which appears to be due to some recent but unclear (& unpublished) change to the rules.

We have a passport application that is held up at present due to my wife holding an uncancelled passport in her maiden name but being successfuly naturalised in her married name.

You can follow the details here...
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.