ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cooling off period for family visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

3sppandey
Newly Registered

Cooling off period for family visitor visa

Post by 3sppandey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello

If my parents get 5 year family visitor visa to UK, what is the cooling off period for visiting again after a visit..? for example if they stayed for 3 months with us in UK and went back to their country of residence...how soon can they come back again..?

Thanks in advance

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Cooling off period for family visitor visa

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:12 pm

The general rule is 6 months in every 12 but be mindful of the 'genuine visitor' proviso as spending 50% of one time abroad isn't 'visiting'.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kiru4u

Post by kiru4u » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi,

My mom has got 2 year long term visitor visa valid till Feb 2017. She came to UK in March and would be going back in September 2015. So does that mean she can visit us in March 2016??? Or can she come a bit early like in Jan or Feb.

Thanks,
Regards,
Kiru

3sppandey
Newly Registered

Post by 3sppandey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:32 pm

This is still confusing..as a friend of mine, whose parents have a 5 year family visitor visa...says that his parents usually stay 8-10 months in a year in uk and have never been questioned at immigration. He says that as long as they leave uk once in 6 months its ok...they usually go for a holiday in EU for the weeked and the clock resets for them..!! do you recon that they will have problem when they do for renewal..?? they have already spent almost 5 years like this and are due for renewal soon sometime

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm not sure whether this is the latest guidance that has been published, but read the following which may help those seeking clarity around this topic.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eral-vat01

5. VAT1.5 Frequency and duration of visits

There is no restriction on the number of visits a person may make to the UK nor any requirement that a specified time must elapse between successive visits. However, the Immigration Rules state that the applicant must show that they do not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent and successive visits. An ECO must consider the reason for a series of visits with only brief intervals outside the UK between each visit. The ECO must consider the purpose of the visit against the time elapsed between visits and the duration of previous visits to the UK.

There is no Rule that states a visitor can only remain in the UK for 6 out of any 12 months, but an ECO must examine the pattern and frequency of visits to see that it does not amount to de facto residence..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:23 pm

3sppandey wrote:This is still confusing..as a friend of mine, whose parents have a 5 year family visitor visa...says that his parents usually stay 8-10 months in a year in uk and have never been questioned at immigration. He says that as long as they leave uk once in 6 months its ok...they usually go for a holiday in EU for the weeked and the clock resets for them..!! do you recon that they will have problem when they do for renewal..?? they have already spent almost 5 years like this and are due for renewal soon sometime
You have to ask what will happen on renewal, will their previous entry/exits be checked? I've no idea but I'd 100% certainly say they are not genuine visitors and are de facto habitually resident.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

3sppandey
Newly Registered

Post by 3sppandey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:57 pm

As usual the UKBA has given a vague guidance so they can do as they please on a case by case basis..!! thanks all for your help.

kiru4u

Post by kiru4u » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the help guys!!!!