ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS Surcharge for newborn

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nickmpco

NHS Surcharge for newborn

Post by nickmpco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi All,

Quick question - I will be having a baby this summer and I am wondering if this healthcare surcharge will apply for her visa. It does seem we are not exempt, but I cannot find any information specifically relating to child dependents born in the UK. Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NHS Surcharge for newborn

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:23 pm

What is your exact visa category?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nickmpco

Post by nickmpco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Tier 2 (General) over 3 years. With 4 years left, this means I would be on the hook for £800 on top of the £1200 dependent visa fee.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:11 pm

The PBS dependent form indicates £1302 for dependent visa over 3 yesrs. Yes, it will be £200 per year of visa duration payable in full at point of application.

When will you be eligible for ILR?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nickmpco

Post by nickmpco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks! I did suspect this, what a shame. I will have been in the UK for 10 years in 3.5 years (I was tier 4 before). I hope I can somehow get out of paying for the 4th year for her dependency.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 pm

The dependent visa will be issued in line with your visa, same expiry date. Also, bear in mind that as the rules stand now, if you apply for ILR based on long residence, your dependents have to switch to FLR(M) and their ILR clock will be reset to zero meaning they will have to start a new 5 year qualifying period for ILR and the time spent in the UK as Tier 2 dependents will not count towards this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nickmpco

Post by nickmpco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks.

That is, my wife could apply for ILR after 5 years with me if I wait a year, but if I apply sooner she will have to wait a lot longer? This is really good to know, thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Yes, applying as a Tier 2 main and dependent will be the best and quickets route. How long has your wife been in the UK?

Also, if the baby is born in the UK, you don't need ILR for baby but can register as BC once you have ILR. If born abroad though, ILR would be recommended.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nickmpco

Post by nickmpco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Our migration history is a bit long

I arrived in Sept 2008 as a tier 4 student.
My wife arrived in Sept 2011 as a tier 4 student.
I became her dependent when I finished school in Dec 2013.
I switched to a tier 2 in August 2014.
She became my dependent about a month ago.

Needless to say, the UKBA/UKVI has gotten quite a lot of work from us. So in 2018, I can apply for ILR under the 10 year rule. In 2019, I can apply for ILR under the 5 year rule. The only complicated thing is whether my wife can get ILR under the 5 year rule because she will have been on a tier 4 visa for part of the time I was on a tier 2 (i.e. she did not apply with me). I hope it is not the case the clock restarts for her! This would mean she would have to wait a couple of years until she has been around for 10 years.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:03 pm

She needs 5 years as a T2 dep to qualify for ILR with you. She can't combine time as T 2 dep with her time on her own T4 (only possible for long residence applications).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nickmpco

Post by nickmpco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Shoot, given she applied just 4 or 5 months later I guess this means she will have to stay as my dependent for a couple years more. I appreciate your help.