ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

need help regarding council tax and Gp

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: need help regarding council tax and Gp

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:37 pm

Read my responses properly, i have explained and read Casa's latest post.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zeee123

Post by zeee123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Hello Kentish,

Just to clarify and reassure you having read the last comment by casa that this is correct, you are not liable to pay council tax for the property which is a multiple occupancy. So you don't need to worry about anything and just apply for naturalisation as this is not the requirement anyway to have your council tax in place.

Tell landlord that you have asked council and he needs to pay council tax for his property. You were only liable if you had rented the whole property from him which is not the case.

Hope it puts matter to rest.

Tc

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:41 pm

CR001 wrote:Then it is the tenants responsibility to contact council and pay. You need to sort this out with your landlord as 3 rooms are not occupied. It should work out at X amount divided by 5 = individual tenants amount to pay.

Until you contact the council, you won't know what the amount is.
Are you sure there's a discount for the unoccupied rooms?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Rogue landlord perhaps Casa. The rent per room should reflect the included council tax then if it is an HMO with a licence. If not, council will pick up on it when tenants contact them. I hope your deposit has been protected in a government approved scheme Kentish.

OP would be better off discussing his concerns about this with his landlord then.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:55 pm

CR001 wrote:Rogue landlord perhaps Casa. The rent per room should reflect the included council tax then if it is an HMO with a licence. If not, council will pick up on it when tenants contact them. I hope your deposit has been protected in a government approved scheme Kentish.

OP would be better off discussing his concerns about this with his landlord then.
ok i will ask my landlord that whether he is HMO registered or not, but suppose if the landlord is not registered as HMO then in that case what gona be happen?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 am

Casa wrote:Interestingly, I've found this regarding the landlord's legal liability if they have a HMO licence;
RP: In a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) containing bedsits or where tenants are paying rent for individual rooms on individual tenancy agreements, it is the landlord who is liable to pay Council Tax. Rent should be set to take account of the amount the landlord must pay for Council Tax. - See more at: http://www.landlords.org.uk/news-campai ... aoOvX.dpuf
That's good to know, never knew about this.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:34 am

kentish wrote:
CR001 wrote:Rogue landlord perhaps Casa. The rent per room should reflect the included council tax then if it is an HMO with a licence. If not, council will pick up on it when tenants contact them. I hope your deposit has been protected in a government approved scheme Kentish.

ok i will ask my landlord that whether he is HMO registered or not, but suppose if the landlord is not registered as HMO then in that case what gona be happen?
The landlord can be fined up to £20,000 for renting out an unlicensed HMO. If you're still unsure of your position regarding Council tax it may be worth talking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. The advice will be free.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kentish

Post by kentish » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Casa wrote:
kentish wrote:

The landlord can be fined up to £20,000 for renting out an unlicensed HMO. If you're still unsure of your position regarding Council tax it may be worth talking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. The advice will be free.
If I talk with my Citizens Advice Bureau then everything will be confidential or bureau can immediately take action? thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:35 pm

will be confidential
It is an advice and help service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:47 pm

I had this issue in 2008. I rented a room in a four bed room house and only two of us lived there. We cam to an agreement with the landlord that we will pay half of the tax between us and he will pay the other half. It worked well :D this totally depends on your landlord, he could refuse to do so.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:53 pm

The issue with this now is if the property is a licensed HMO then the landlord is legally responsible for paying the Council tax, not the tenants.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kentish

Post by kentish » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Have you heard about "Rent a room scheme" ??
Last edited by kentish on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kentish

Post by kentish » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Casa wrote:The issue with this now is if the property is a licensed HMO then the landlord is legally responsible for paying the Council tax, not the tenants.
hi Casa Have you heard about "Rent a room scheme" ??

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:09 pm

kentish wrote:Have you heard about "Rent a room scheme" ??
If you are referring to the scheme where home owners are able to take in a lodger(s), then yes. i.e. http://www.spareroom.co.uk/content/info ... om-scheme/

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Yes, it's a Government scheme for someone wanting to rent out rooms in their own home...i.e the owner is living in the property. How does this apply to you?
(Casa, not CR001)

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Just want to know suppose if council catch that someone is not paying council tax, but still no letter been issued by the council then in that case home office still can refuse British nationality application????

kentish

Post by kentish » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Casa wrote:Yes, it's a Government scheme for someone wanting to rent out rooms in their own home...i.e the owner is living in the property. How does this apply to you?
hi Casa Just want to know suppose if council catch that someone is not paying council tax, but still no letter been issued by the council then in that case home office still can refuse British nationality application????