ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation : English : Degree Query Urgent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sanky_001

Naturalisation : English : Degree Query Urgent

Post by sanky_001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Dear All,

Urgeng plz help!!!

My apologies in advanced for going off topic but
im submitting my BC application next Wednesday and I believe this is my best place to post my question. Please answer as Im absolutely in a Panic mode.

Moderator plz dont not deleted this post and this is urgent.

I have a Masters Degree awarded by Queen Margaret Edinburgh but I graduated in Singapore as I did my MBA in a private institution in Singapore.

I just filled in my form AN but not sure what option should I choose for the following . Im freaked out if my Degree Certificate is valid.

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:

i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or

ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada);

Please help me coz im ve only a small window to apply for my BC as Im applying based on 3yrs physical presence and im a spouse of BC.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: April 2015 Naturalization application Timeline ONLY

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:52 pm

sanky_001 wrote: I have a Masters Degree awarded by Queen Margaret Edinburgh but I graduated in Singapore as did my MBA in a private institution in Singapore.

I just filled in my form AN and not sure what option should I choose for the following . Im freaked out if my Degree Certificate is valid.

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:

i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or

ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada);
I presume your degree was awarded by the UK university & that you have the degree certificate to prove this? If so its option ii. See topic below which may also help when it comes to filling the form.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 84112.html
Personally I'd also do a quick search through the PBS to check your university & degree appear on the list.
https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
sanky_001 wrote: I presume your degree was awarded by the UK university & that you have the degree certificate to prove this? If so its option ii. See topic below which may also help when it comes to filling the form.
Personally I'd also do a quick search through the PBS to check your university & degree appear on the list.
Dear cs95tdg,

That really helped. Thanks you so much for your time and swift response. Im all calmed down now. You are a star :)

Yes I do have my certificate.

I did check the PBS calculator and my university is listed. Great!!

I did speak with NARIC and their service is more for non-uk degree holders and that I should be able to submit my Degree certificate directly.

Im good to go with option ii now.

This forum is the best.

Thanks again experts :)

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:16 pm

sanky_001 wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:
sanky_001 wrote: I presume your degree was awarded by the UK university & that you have the degree certificate to prove this? If so its option ii. See topic below which may also help when it comes to filling the form.
Dear cs95tdg,

Just a quick one, I kind of overlooked the link u sent me for filling the form n it proved to be the best option for me.

It directed me to the following option in the form:

"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 ''

I believe its perfect for me as I got my ILR last July.

So I guess I dont have to worry about ticking the option ii (the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada)) then ?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Naturalisation : English : Degree Query Urgent

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 am

sanky_001 wrote:Just a quick one, I kind of overlooked the link u sent me for filling the form n it proved to be the best option for me.

It directed me to the following option in the form:

"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 ''

I believe its perfect for me as I got my ILR last July.

So I guess I dont have to worry about ticking the option ii (the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada)) then ?
Yes, that's correct.

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 am

Great. Cant wait to submit my application next week.
Thanks for all your help cs95tdg :)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 am

You're welcome. Do post your timeline in the April thread, once you submit your application.

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:41 am

cs95tdg wrote:You're welcome. Do post your timeline in the April thread, once you submit your application.
Absolutely cs95tdg!

Just for ur info Im applying through NCS Newham on 15th.

Hope they wont have issues accepting my application as Im applying based on my initial physical presence (3yrs) when I visited UK in April 2012 ( 9th to 22nd) on a family visa .

Got my spouse visa in August 2012 when I permanently moved to the UK and ILR in July 2014.

Been absent only for 126 days in total n 10days in last 1yr.

Fingers crossed :)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 am

sanky_001 wrote:Just for ur info Im applying through NCS Newham on 15th.

Hope they wont have issues accepting my application as Im applying based on my initial physical presence (3yrs) when I visited UK in April 2012 ( 9th to 22nd) on a family visa .

Got my spouse visa in August 2012 when I permanently moved to the UK and ILR in July 2014.

Do the 126 days of absences you refer to include the period between 22nd April 2012 to August 2012? I don't personally know whether the family visit visa (I presume it is a visit visa you are referring to here?) residence period counts towards the overall (3 year) qualifying residence period for naturalisation, but haven't seen anything to suggest it wouldn't. Others may be able to comment/confirm. Do take a took through the following to make sure you satisfy all other requirements as well...

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 am

cs95tdg wrote:
sanky_001 wrote:Just for ur info Im applying through NCS Newham on 15th.

Do the 126 days of absences you refer to include the period between 22nd April 2012 to August 2012? I don't personally know whether the family visit visa (I presume it is a visit visa you are referring to here?) residence period counts towards the overall (3 year) qualifying residence period for naturalisation, but haven't seen anything to suggest it wouldn't. Others may be able to comment/confirm. Do take a took through the following to make sure you satisfy all other requirements as well...

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen

Dear cs95tdg,

Yes 126 includes the time i spent outside between April 2012 and August 2012 ( to be specific it was 107days)

I visted UK in April 2012 in a Visitors Visa - Family Category.

Surprisingly UKVI do consider the physical presence as long as you can prove u were legally present 3yrs ( for my case ) before in the UK, the day they receive the application. I dint believe this first but I read the rules n it does say "Physical presence here is normally sufficient for the purpose of the Act. The applicant does not have to have been ordinarily resident or domiciled here."

Its that some Councils could make a fuss and not accept applications. Some of the forum members had this experience and that was my concern.

You can look at the following forum links just for ur reference:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 33329.html

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=76186.0

I certainly appreciate your input though :)

arindam02

Post by arindam02 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:04 pm

My wife has got Master degree from India which is recognised in the point based calculator. She also used this for her ILR but her ILR got approved before 1st Oct 2013. Hence she needs to resubmit the degree certificate along with Point based calculator print out. Do we need to tick point 1 or 2(i), please advise.

1. I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification (Go to question 1.23)

2. I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:

ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);

RockON

Post by RockON » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 pm

2(i)

arindam02

Post by arindam02 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:16 pm

RockON wrote:2(i)
Thanks a lot

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:17 pm

sanky_001 wrote: Yes 126 includes the time i spent outside between April 2012 and August 2012 ( to be specific it was 107days)

I visted UK in April 2012 in a Visitors Visa - Family Category.

Surprisingly UKVI do consider the physical presence as long as you can prove u were legally present 3yrs ( for my case ) before in the UK, the day they receive the application. I dint believe this first but I read the rules n it does say "Physical presence here is normally sufficient for the purpose of the Act. The applicant does not have to have been ordinarily resident or domiciled here."

Its that some Councils could make a fuss and not accept applications. Some of the forum members had this experience and that was my concern.

You can look at the following forum links just for ur reference:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 33329.html

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=76186.0

I certainly appreciate your input though :)
Looking at the material I'd say you should be fine, as per the rules. I think the only option would be to see what the NCS staff say, but take material to support your case in the event they do push back.

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Sure cs95tdg.

Thanks and Cheers!