ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) Extension length

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

srichar3
Newly Registered

FLR(M) Extension length

Post by srichar3 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi Can anyone tell me under the new rules how long FLR(m) extensions are granted for?

Also I have read the notes on when to apply and all it says it to apply before current visa expires. My wife will have completed 18 months (half way) by mid July but her first entry clearance has until October to run. Can she apply in June after 18 months as she needs her passport in October.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: FLR(M) Extension length

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:48 pm

If you apply too early, she will need a further extension to cover the few months she will be short to make up 5 years. Extensions are only granted for 2.5 years.

Bear in mind too that she wwill have to pay the new NHS surcharge at £200 per year (£500) upfront at pointnof application.

If she needs her pasport in October, why can she not apply in person for same day decision?

Ideally, she should only apply within 28 days of her current visa expiring to avoid ghe need for an additional extension to cover a few months later on.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Post by srichar3 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Why would she be short and need a further extension? she will have completed 2.5 years as of 25th of July as she entered the UK on 25th Jan 13. Her original Visa was granted for 33 months.

Does she need to have fully completed 60 months prior to applying ILR (hence needing 61 months of visa) or can she apply 28 days before she meets the 60 month target?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:03 pm

I based my answer on your statement of
My wife will have completed 18 months (half way) by mid July but her first entry clearance has until October to run
can she apply 28 days before she meets the 60 month target?
Yes
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Post by srichar3 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Sorry my mistake, yes she will have completed 30 months in July but her vis is valid till October. So we wont run into any issues if we apply in July?

Out of interest if you do the regular service when do they date the extension? from the date they actually issue it or the date of you previous expiry?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:47 pm

from the date they actually issue it
But remember there is a chance that a postal application can take longer than 6 months. So in terms of needing the passport in October, my suggestion would be to pay the extra for an in person application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)