ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is my son a British Citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srichar3
Newly Registered

Is my son a British Citizen?

Post by srichar3 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Just been reading up about qualifying for British citizenship and realised my son even though he is a British passport holder may not actually meet the requirements.

Basically he was born in 2005, I'm his father and have lived in the UK all my life however his mother is from the Philippines and she was here on a work permit. We were not married at the time of his birth. From my reading it appears anyone born before July 2006 cannot get citizenship from their father unless married to the mother at time of birth.

Is this correct?

vinny

Re: Is my son a British Citizen?

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:41 pm

srichar3 wrote:Just been reading up about qualifying for British citizenship and realised my son even though he is a British passport holder may not actually meet the requirements.

Basically he was born in 2005, I'm his father and have lived in the UK all my life however his mother is from the Philippines and she was here on a work permit. We were not married at the time of his birth. From my reading it appears anyone born before July 2006 cannot get citizenship from their father unless married to the mother at time of birth.

Is this correct?
You are correct, if his mother wasn't settled at the time of his birth and you did not subsequently marry her.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Is your sons mother the same person you were divorcing in 2011?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... 76547.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Post by srichar3 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 am

Yes we married after his birth in 2005 then subsequently divorced in 2011.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Post by srichar3 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 am

Does that mean he's ok?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Yes under section 47(1) assuming you were British when the child was born.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.