ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year Long Residency!! PLEASE HELP

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

10 year Long Residency!! PLEASE HELP

Post by Ali272 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:38 pm

One of my friends just told me that being on Tier 4 visa does not count towards the 10 year long residency. Is that true?

I am really scared. I have been here for 8 years, all on student visa (Tier 4) and I am planning to start my PhD this September. Will I be eligible for Long residency in second year of my PhD?
I have been outside the UK for only 3 months over the past 8 years and I have had no visa rejection.

2. Also, I have heard there is now a premium one day service, Is that true too?

Many Many Thanks

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Re: 10 year Long Residency!! PLEASE HELP

Post by Zee ali » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Ali272 wrote:One of my friends just told me that being on Tier 4 visa does not count towards the 10 year long residency. Is that true?

I am really scared. I have been here for 8 years, all on student visa (Tier 4) and I am planning to start my PhD this September. Will I be eligible for Long residency in second year of my PhD?
I have been outside the UK for only 3 months over the past 8 years and I have had no visa rejection.

Many Many Thanks
He is wrong

Yes
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Malik44

Post by Malik44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Ali272 wrote:One of my friends just told me that being on Tier 4 visa does not count towards the 10 year long residency. Is that true?

Yes after completing lawful 10 years including Tier 4 you can apply ILR on long residency basis.

yes its true you can take perineum service for long residency application.

Many Many Thanks

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Ali272 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you so much to both of you.

sud315

Post by sud315 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Don't stress yourself just from hearing some incorrect advise from friends.
1. You can certainly apply during your Phd and good luck for both!
Its lawful continuous residence of 10 years - can combine different categories

2. Yes premium 1 day service is available, lucky you!

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

10 Year Route. PLEASE HELP.

Post by Ali272 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 am

Hi,

I have a question regarding 10 year route please. Does my time on Tier 1 graduate entrepreneur counts towards my 10 year? In the Tier 1 gradate entrepreneur’s guidance; it says you cannot apply for settlement on this visa. I am really worried. Please help me.

Thank You.

vinny

Re: 10 Year Route. PLEASE HELP.

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 am

Don't worry. 276A(b)(i) is satisfiable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

10 year long residence

Post by Ali272 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi,

I came to the UK in February of 2009 so my ten year will be completed in 2019. I am not sure whether long residence is going to be here in 4 years time so I have couple of questions:

1. Which immigration law or act does long residence belong to? I keep reading different forums and some people say human rights act of 1998, some say EU treaty and some say it just an immigration law.

2. They abolished the 14 year rule in 2012, why they haven't abolished this route? many foreign students come here early on to take advantage of this route. Why they haven't abolished it in the past 5 years? Is there any reason?

3. Do you think they are going to abolish it in this parliament?

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 10 year long residence

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:01 pm

1. It is under the UK immigration law and can change at any time depending on how the government feel.s

2. 14 years long residence did not require valid visas etc. 10 years long residence does. It might change, it might not change. We don't know and don't have a crystal ball to predict it.

3. See comment in #2 above.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nasirkhan
- thin ice -

Post by nasirkhan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:10 pm

2) They have extended the period of stay in order to deter people from other countries sneaking in the UK and discourage those continuing their stay here illegally in the hope of getting settled.

3) It is very unlikely that the settlement of immigrants with 10 years legal stay will change. They have gone to extreme lengths to not let people extend their non-immigrant visas to achieve such stay instead of just abolishing or increasing the duration of stay. Just think about it; 10 years is a long time in the life of a person and anyone who spends such a long time in a country visiting outside for just short periods has made the country his home practically. So rest assured; the probability that it is going to change is negligible.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:33 am

Ali272 wrote:1. Which immigration law or act does long residence belong to? I keep reading different forums and some people say human rights act of 1998, some say EU treaty and some say it just an immigration law.
Long residence is granted under Part 7 of the Immigration Rules, which are issued under the authority of the Immigration Act 1971.

As delegated legislation, it can be modified by ministers at any time. Theoretically either of the two Houses can reject the changes, but neither House does that. So, if the ministers change the Rules, they come into force after at least 40 days. So, you will typically have 40 days notice of the change.
Ali272 wrote:2. They abolished the 14 year rule in 2012, why they haven't abolished this route? many foreign students come here early on to take advantage of this route. Why they haven't abolished it in the past 5 years? Is there any reason?
That is a question for the ministers in the Home Office. They certainly have the power to change it. They may also just modify it by adding requirements (such as demonstrating that it would be unreasonable for the applicant to leave the UK) rather than change the number of years that qualify for long residence.

BTW, they did not abolish the 14 year rule, they just increased it to 20 years.
Ali272 wrote:3. Do you think they are going to abolish it in this parliament?
As CR001 has put it succinctly, we have not got a crystal ball, so we can not give you a definitive answer. I think nasirkhan is being far too sanguine when he says
nasirkhan wrote:the probability that it is going to change is negligible.
It is likely that there will be changes, as it is far easier to change Immigration Rules than it is to change EEA Regulations. But before making changes, ministers would certainly want to consult lawyers to ensure that such changes do not fall foul of basic legal principles, such as human rights or unreasonableness. So, you would definitely hear of it in the news well before it hits you

Ali272
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: 10 Year Route. PLEASE HELP.

Post by Ali272 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Thank you so much to all of you.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:53 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Ali272 wrote:1. Which immigration law or act does long residence belong to? I keep reading different forums and some people say human rights act of 1998, some say EU treaty and some say it just an immigration law.
Long residence is granted under Part 7 of the Immigration Rules, which are issued under the authority of the Immigration Act 1971.

As delegated legislation, it can be modified by ministers at any time. Theoretically either of the two Houses can reject the changes, but neither House does that. So, if the ministers change the Rules, they come into force after at least 40 days. So, you will typically have 40 days notice of the change.
Ali272 wrote:2. They abolished the 14 year rule in 2012, why they haven't abolished this route? many foreign students come here early on to take advantage of this route. Why they haven't abolished it in the past 5 years? Is there any reason?
That is a question for the ministers in the Home Office. They certainly have the power to change it. They may also just modify it by adding requirements (such as demonstrating that it would be unreasonable for the applicant to leave the UK) rather than change the number of years that qualify for long residence.

Ali272 wrote:3. Do you think they are going to abolish it in this parliament?
As CR001 has put it succinctly, we have not got a crystal ball, so we can not give you a definitive answer. I think nasirkhan is being far too sanguine when he says
nasirkhan wrote:the probability that it is going to change is negligible.
It is likely that there will be changes, as it is far easier to change Immigration Rules than it is to change EEA Regulations. But before making changes, ministers would certainly want to consult lawyers to ensure that such changes do not fall foul of basic legal principles, such as human rights or unreasonableness. So, you would definitely hear of it in the news well before it hits you

@Secret.Simon i dont agree with your above statement. They in fact abolish 14 years rule. When that rule was in place people got ILR after 14 years.

But in new rule after 20 years they give u 2.5 years visa initially than 3 more 2.5 years extension than ILR.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided