ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Attention please!

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fna81
Newly Registered

Attention please!

Post by fna81 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi lovely members,
Me and my husband is currently claiming housing benefit, we got our ILR last year and will apply for our passports in July this year. My question is my husband is working only 12 hours per week and it's becoming really difficult for us to manage our living. Kindly could someone suggest as to what should We claim? Which type of job seeker allowance should he apply for. Contribution based or income based? Or are we eligible for income support? We are only claiming housing benefit at the moment.
Please need help and answer my question .
Thanks!

hopeful2003
Newly Registered

Re: Attention please!

Post by hopeful2003 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:10 pm

You can only claim income support when something is preventing you from working. You can apply for JSA as couple. You must show that you are available and actively looking for work. They will calculate to see whether you qualify for contributory JSA or not, if not they will pay you you income based JSA.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:07 pm

This Government link should help you to calculate which benefits you are entitled to claim.
https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:59 pm

fna81 wrote:Kindly could someone suggest as to what should We claim?
Thanks!
If he is only working 12 hours and you don't work at all, then there is nothing you can claim. Any reason why you both don't work fulltime?

When your area moves onto Universal Credit, if you still want the housing benefit element of Universal Credit you will both have to attend the work programmes. Under Universal Credit you will be expected to earn at least 35 x national minimum wage, each, per week.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:04 pm

hopeful2003 wrote: if not they will pay you you income based JSA.
They won't pay her much, if anything at all, because her husband works 12 hours a week. She will be expected to sign on as often as she is told to and attend whatever work programmes, training programmes, working for welfare, they send her too. Her time on JSA will be limited.