ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement - Indian degree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

English language requirement - Indian degree

Post by nash45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 am

Hi,

I need help English language requirement . I completed my bachelor degree from India. I have checked in PBS calculator it is giving 30 points for my degree. I am planning to go through NCS. Is it ok if I take the print out with me along the degree certificate or else do I need to use UK Naric services. Please guide me through.

Thank You

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: English language requirement - Indian degree

Post by fwd079 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Is it giving you 10 points separately for English language?

If not, you need to take English language test or need to get NARIC certificate telling your course was taught in English.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:31 pm

fwd079 wrote:Is it giving you 10 points separately for English language?

If not, you need to take English language test or need to get NARIC certificate telling your course was taught in English.
Hi,

Where to check that . Please tell me or can you send me the link.

Thank You

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:15 pm

nash45 wrote:

Hi,

Thank You
Link.

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash45 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:30 pm

fwd079 wrote:
nash45 wrote:

Hi,

Thank You
Link.

Thank You for the link. The same link I followed before and I got 30 points using category as Tier 1 General . Now there is no such option . I selected skilled workers and followed the link and got 10 points for English Language. But in the UKBA document they are asking more than 20 points for degree and 10 points for English Language.
so Little confused. can you help me out please.

Thank You

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:49 am

The PBS calculator is something which came after my route, so I am afraid I don't know much about it.

Try different category like Tier 2, what I have read here, that should be able to give clearer picture perhaps.

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash45 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:38 pm

fwd079 wrote:The PBS calculator is something which came after my route, so I am afraid I don't know much about it.

Try different category like Tier 2, what I have read here, that should be able to give clearer picture perhaps.

Thank You for the information.

chindi2ch
Newly Registered

Post by chindi2ch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 am

Hi nash45,

I am also in the same boat.
Whats unclear is there is no option to select in Application form to prove Qualification using original degree certificate and printout from points based system(page:7 of Form_AN_MARCH_2015.pdf)

I happen to have old version of the same document(before 6th Arp 2015) which has pretty much same options but I know one of my friends applied successfully using same form and Points based calculator print out.

My question is, can we still use points based calculator print out as proof of degree and level of English ?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 am

chindi2ch wrote:Hi nash45,

Whats unclear is there is no option to select in Application form to prove Qualification using original degree certificate and printout from points based system(page:7 of Form_AN_MARCH_2015.pdf)

I happen to have old version of the same document(before 6th Arp 2015) which has pretty much same options but I know one of my friends applied successfully using same form and Points based calculator print out.

My question is, can we still use points based calculator print out as proof of degree and level of English ?
When were you granted ILR? If it was after 28 October 2013, , you can simply tick the relevant box, on form AN page 7, simply tick the box:
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

chindi2ch
Newly Registered

Post by chindi2ch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, it was before Oct 2013, some time in Feb that year.

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash45 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:01 am

chindi2ch wrote:Hi nash45,

Hi,

I am also confused with the same thing. Its better to take senior advice on this please.

raj78
Newly Registered

Post by raj78 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:24 am

hi friends
I have ILR due through Tier-1 general in the May end. there was no additional requirement for main application for English language if it was proved in previous extension applications before 6 Apr 15. But that option is now removed from Set O form. Also PBS calculator is not showing the Tier-1 General option.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english link says that print out of Point Based calculator can be provided.

I was wondering if some one has clarity that it is still true for Tier-1 General Candidates? if yes do they need print out from going via Tier-2 in PBS Calculator?
Thanks

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 am

@raj78, @chindi2ch you may find the following discussion thread on the same topic useful.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 52877.html

hei8ht
Newly Registered

Post by hei8ht » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:14 pm

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (204.41 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Attached is the printout received from NCS. Does it mean we are ok to take the summary print out from PBS based on the printout. The 3rd point under point 7 is confusing but based on the 1st point I think we must be ok.

Any comments would be helpful.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:24 pm

hei8ht wrote:Attached is the printout received from NCS. Does it mean we are ok to take the summary print out from PBS based on the printout. The 3rd point under point 7 is confusing but based on the 1st point I think we must be ok.

Agree, if that last point wasn't there it would be a straight forward set of steps you have there. Point 3 refers to the T1G calculator where you could score 30 or more points for a degree qualification, but I think based on the steps mentioned above you can ignore that last one as a mistake.

May I ask which NCS provided you that sheet? Just wondering whether it's been distributed by HO to all NCS's, in which case it would make the process very simple & straightforward for everyone with a overseas degree.

hei8ht
Newly Registered

Post by hei8ht » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
hei8ht wrote:Attached is the printout received from NCS. Does it mean we are ok to take the summary print out from PBS based on the printout. The 3rd point under point 7 is confusing but based on the 1st point I think we must be ok.

Agree, if that last point wasn't there it would be a straight forward set of steps you have there. Point 3 refers to the T1G calculator where you could score 30 or more points for a degree qualification, but I think based on the steps mentioned above you can ignore that last one as a mistake.

May I ask which NCS provided you that sheet? Just wondering whether it's been distributed by HO to all NCS's, in which case it would make the process very simple & straightforward for everyone with a overseas degree.
hi There,
I had been to the Luton NCS office and there I could see they had received an email with the document. So I think its been circulated across to all.

Based on this, do you think it would be safe to go ahead with NCS appointment?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:49 pm

hei8ht wrote:I had been to the Luton NCS office and there I could see they had received an email with the document. So I think its been circulated across to all.

I'm curious, do you mean you went to the NCS to enquire and saw this? Or were you given a copy when you went there to apply? Reading that, I believe you should be fine to go ahead with an NCS appointment with the PBS printout along with degree certificate for English language alone.

hei8ht
Newly Registered

Post by hei8ht » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:56 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
hei8ht wrote:I had been to the Luton NCS office and there I could see they had received an email with the document. So I think its been circulated across to all.

I'm curious, do you mean you went to the NCS to enquire and saw this? Or were you given a copy when you went there to apply? Reading that, I believe you should be fine to go ahead with an NCS appointment with the PBS printout along with degree certificate for English language alone.
hi There,
I was given this copy by the NCS staff when i went to enquire about the PBS calculator since the Tier 1 General was removed.

Looking at the points, I think the 1st point covers all the scenarios and also there doesn't seem to be any need for NARIC comparability certificate.

I will go ahead with the appointment and will also take a copy of this handout just in case.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Yes, you should be fine, as the printout was given to you by the NCS itself. Additionally I've also now seen the same confirmed by the Settlement Ops team under the ILR forum. As this now needs to be confirmed at the settlement stage rather than naturalisation for those applying for ILR since 28th Oct 2013.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 42-20.html

hei8ht
Newly Registered

Post by hei8ht » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:11 pm

cs95tdg wrote:Yes, you should be fine, as the printout was given to you by the NCS itself. Additionally I've also now seen the same confirmed by the Settlement Ops team under the ILR forum. As this now needs to be confirmed at the settlement stage rather than naturalisation for those applying for ILR since 28th Oct 2013.

Thats a huge relief finally after so much confusion. Thank you for your support and I hope the above information helps everyone else who is facing this problem.

I think this post must be highlighted in the forum somewhere so that people have easy access and don't stress out :-)

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash45 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:04 am

cs95tdg wrote:Yes, you should be fine, as the printout was given to you by the NCS itself. Additionally I've also now seen the same confirmed by the Settlement Ops team under the ILR forum. As this now needs to be confirmed at the settlement stage rather than naturalisation for those applying for ILR since 28th Oct 2013.

Thank You for all the information .

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash45 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:06 am

hei8ht wrote:

Thats a huge relief finally after so much confusion. Thank you for your support and I hope the above information helps everyone else who is facing this problem.

I think this post must be highlighted in the forum somewhere so that people have easy access and don't stress out :-)

Yes you are right and it cleared lot of confusion and it is very helpful for all overseas degree holders. Thank You for your information.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:20 am

You're welcome. It may be worth adding the point to the FAQ's sticky as this question does appear to be asked repeatedly, since the T1G option was removed from the PBS calculator this April. The moderators of this site may be able to assist with this.

predha02
Newly Registered

Post by predha02 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Glad you're all sorted. I'm in the similar boat as you -

1. I got my ILR through a combination of WP + Tier1 (General) in Dec 2012....and am planning on applying for a Citizenship through NCS in the next month or so. Needless to say, I have a LifeInTheUK pass certificate.

2. I have a letter from NARIC confirming the level of English language in my degree is CEFR level C1. I got this letter last year in May and was not required to provide any letter from my University to support my claim.

3. I recently obtained a letter of comparability from NARIC confirming that my degree is comparable to UK Bachelors (Hons.) degree.

4. I followed the instructions for PBS printout detailed in Luton NCS letter on this post and get 10 points for my qualification.

Does anyone foresee any issues with my application please? From my end, I've tried to cover all possible bases..but just want to be doubly sure.

Many thanks in advance!

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:05 pm

predha02 wrote:Does anyone foresee any issues with my application please? From my end, I've tried to cover all possible bases..but just want to be doubly sure.
You seem to have covered all bases, so will be fine from a English language perspective. Just submit your degree certificate along with the NARIC letter/PBS sheet, and you'll be fine.