ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLRM earliest application date

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

flusteredpie
Newly Registered

FLRM earliest application date

Post by flusteredpie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 am

Hi all

My American wife entered the country on a student visa in 2007. We met shortly after that, married in 2013 and she switched to a spouse visa with FLRM. Our intention is to reapply in September when this expires, and then apply for SET(LR) in 2017 as she'll have been in the country for 10 years by this point.

With this in mind, we'd like to apply for her FLRM extension as soon as possible so we don't have to spend months worrying about it. What's the earliest date we can mail the application? The border force website just says "You must apply before your visa expires" while other sources are saying that we must apply when we're within 28 days of the expiry date. Which is right? Is there any reason why we can't apply long before the september expiry date?

Thanks,
Neil

vinny

Re: FLRM earliest application date

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:34 am

For extensions, you may apply at anytime before your leave expires.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:34 am

Once your wife switched to FLR(M) spouse the clock reset. She is now on a 5 year route to permanent settlement. Although all legal residence will qualify towards British Citizenship, she will be unable to apply for ILR under the long residence category. She will need to apply for a further 2.5 year FLR(M) extension. At the end of the second extension she will be able to apply for ILR - SET(M) and then immediately after this is granted, British Citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:38 am

I think that the qualifying period for SET(M) is reset, but the qualifying period for SET(LR) may include periods under FLR(M) as well as other legal stays.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 am

Thanks Vinny. Are you sure on this? I always respect your advice
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:48 am

D-LTRP satisfies 276A(b)(i)?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks Vinny, have read and agree. I seems that LR is the exception to the switching category rule.
(Casa, not CR001)

flusteredpie
Newly Registered

Post by flusteredpie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:32 pm

Thank you both for that, you've put our minds a bit more at ease. I especially appreciate the clarification on LR as there was a worry in the back of my mind that some kind of rule like that would bite us.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Bear in mind that an she may be granted leave under D-LTRP for a maximum period not exceeding thirty months. So, don't apply too early.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:34 pm

The rules precludes different residence as a spouse from being amalgamated with residence under appendix FM.

But those lawful residence can be good for ILR, under long residence.

I concur with VInny's view on that.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

cellio9
Newly Registered

Post by cellio9 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Hello. I started on my spouse visa FLR(M) on 3 January 2013, after the post-9 July 2012 rules were in place. The first 30-month portion of my visa expires on 3 July 2015, so I have arranged my renewal appointment for 22 May 2015. However, I still need to travel a few days after my appointment, so I can't afford to wait for the new biometrics card to arrive. Will my inital FLR(M) biometrics card expiring 3 July 2015 still be valid after my appointment on 22 May? Many thanks for your help.