ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (General Visa) Extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pillaipraveen
Newly Registered

Tier 2 (General Visa) Extension

Post by pillaipraveen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi,
My current Tier 2 visa is valid until 26th Jan 2016 (valid from - 14 April 2013). However my current research contract is until 31 December 2015. We are planning to travel to India with baby (due end of June) in December. I had a quick chat with the director of operations and he told that they are willing to extend my visa until 31 August 2018 (or 31 December 2018 if necessary). I am planning to apply for an ILR once I am eligible (5 Years?). Based on these.,
1. Is it reasonable to assume that, when I apply for an extension, UKBA will give me visa until 31 December 2018 this is the end date of my research contract in the CoS?
2. Is the validity of visa based on the end date in CoS?
2. Is the timing good if I apply for an extension in person at Croydon/Birmingham/Cardiff UKBA office on 24th November 2015?
Thank you very much in advance.
KInd Regards,
Praveen.

DEEPAM
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 (General Visa) Extension

Post by DEEPAM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi,
My current Tier 2 visa is valid until 26th Jan 2016 (valid from - 14 April 2013). However my current research contract is until 31 December 2015. We are planning to travel to India with baby (due end of June) in December. I had a quick chat with the director of operations and he told that they are willing to extend my visa until 31 August 2018 (or 31 December 2018 if necessary). I am planning to apply for an ILR once I am eligible (5 Years?). Based on these.,
1. Is it reasonable to assume that, when I apply for an extension, UKBA will give me visa until 31 December 2018 this is the end date of my research contract in the CoS?
As long it is stated on CoS
Yes
2. Is the timing good if I apply for an extension in person at Croydon/Birmingham/Cardiff UKBA office on 24th November 2015?
Yes it is, unsure about the PEO centres you have mentioned but basing on my personal experience and my friend's- good at Befast and Glasgow
KInd Regards,
Praveen.

pillaipraveen
Newly Registered

Post by pillaipraveen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Thank you Deepam.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:10 pm

pillaipraveen wrote:Hi,
the company can only extend your contract, not your visa, and they'll have to assign a new CoS to you for the extension. An extension means that your job SOC code remains the same, if it doesn't you have to make a change of employment application and a new RLMT will be needed unless it is a shortage occupation or you are a high earner. The job has to be NQF level 6.

your visa will be valid to the work end date stated in the new CoS + 14 days or 14 April 2019 whichever is sooner

it is OK provided your application is in order but you'll have to wait for the new BRP card to come in the post.
KInd Regards,
Praveen.

pillaipraveen
Newly Registered

Post by pillaipraveen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Dear Manci,

Thank you for the response. I should have been careful with the wording, sorry.

"the company can only extend your contract, not your visa, and they'll have to assign a new CoS to you for the extension. An extension means that your job SOC code remains the same, if it doesn't you have to make a change of employment application and a new RLMT will be needed unless it is a shortage occupation or you are a high earner. The job has to be NQF level 6"

Response: I will be getting an extension of my current research contract. So the SOC is the same and my current employer will provide me a new CoS for my extension. The end date of my work/contract in my new CoS will be 18 December 2018. I will request the university office to submit an application for my CoS in October so that the CoS is valid when I submit my application on 24th November 2015.

"your visa will be valid to the work end date stated in the new CoS + 14 days or 14 April 2019 whichever is sooner"

Response: I was under the impression that UKBA will look at the date when I will be 5 years in the UK and the expiry of my visa will be based on this date and not my work end date. Thank you for the clarification which confirms that my new visa end date will be 18 December 2018 + 14 days. This is ideal for an ILR application in 2018 (hope the rules doesn't change by then!) By the way what's this date 14 April 2019?

"it is OK provided your application is in order but you'll have to wait for the new BRP card to come in the post"

Response: I e-mailed UKBA in parallel and they told me that I can apply for an extension from 3 months before the expiry on my current visa. So I think 24th November 2015 is a good date to apply for an extension and expect to receive BRP in post before our trip to India planned for the end of Dec 2015.

Thank you once again for the detailed explanation.
Kind Regards,

Praveen.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:40 pm

pillaipraveen wrote:Dear Manci,

Thank you for the response. I should have been careful with the wording, sorry.

"the company can only extend your contract, not your visa, and they'll have to assign a new CoS to you for the extension. An extension means that your job SOC code remains the same, if it doesn't you have to make a change of employment application and a new RLMT will be needed unless it is a shortage occupation or you are a high earner. The job has to be NQF level 6"

Response: I will be getting an extension of my current research contract. So the SOC is the same and my current employer will provide me a new CoS for my extension. The end date of my work/contract in my new CoS will be 18 December 2018. I will request the university office to submit an application for my CoS in October so that the CoS is valid when I submit my application on 24th November 2015.

"your visa will be valid to the work end date stated in the new CoS + 14 days or 14 April 2019 whichever is sooner"

Response: I was under the impression that UKBA will look at the date when I will be 5 years in the UK and the expiry of my visa will be based on this date and not my work end date. Thank you for the clarification which confirms that my new visa end date will be 18 December 2018 + 14 days. This is ideal for an ILR application in 2018 (hope the rules doesn't change by then!) By the way what's this date 14 April 2019?
6 years from your initial T2 visa

"it is OK provided your application is in order but you'll have to wait for the new BRP card to come in the post"

Response: I e-mailed UKBA in parallel and they told me that I can apply for an extension from 3 months before the expiry on my current visa.
You probably misunderstood them. You can apply for an extension any time if you have a CoS but not earlier than 3 months before the work start date given in the CoS
see para 192:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_2015.pdf

So I think 24th November 2015 is a good date to apply for an extension and expect to receive BRP in post before our trip to India planned for the end of Dec 2015.
apply in person and make an appointment in good time

Thank you once again for the detailed explanation.
Kind Regards,

Praveen.

pillaipraveen
Newly Registered

Post by pillaipraveen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Dear Manci,

Thank you very much for the response. I will go through the details once again.

Kind Regards,

Praveen.