ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year ILR on a visit visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

irfan00976
Newly Registered

10 year ILR on a visit visa

Post by irfan00976 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 am

hi
i have legally resided in uk from 31 january 2000 till 13 february 2010 .my stay here was without any breaks.all these years i was on a student visa.then i moved to dubai to work over there.now i am back in uk on a visit visa.my question is can i apply for ilr 10 year long residence same day visa .is there any problem if i am on a visit visa.
thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: 10 year ILR on a visit visa

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:48 pm

No, 5 years is much too large a gap, you'll have to start from zero again...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 pm

There have been posts by Vinny or Casa or Obie in the past replying to similar questions. The advice given was that they have to could apply and would need prove the 10 years lawful residence in the UK at any point in the past. I will have to dig around to find them and any references they might contain.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:01 pm

CR001 wrote:There have been posts by Vinny or Casa or Obie in the past replying to similar questions. The advice given was that they have to could apply and would need prove the 10 years lawful residence in the UK at any point in the past. I will have to dig around to find them and any references they might contain.
Yes, I believe it's mentioned on page 11 of the long residence guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .0_EXT.pdf

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Insofar as you had 10 continuous legal years at any point then you may apply to settle if you are in the UK with valid leave. Whether you can prove you were in the UK legally may be a different matter.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

confused90

Post by confused90 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:04 pm

On the same guidance as posted by cs95tdg, page number 13 mentions this:-

Events that break continuous residence
Continuous residence is considered to be broken if the applicant has:
 been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is absent from the UK for a shorter period but does not have valid leave to enter the UK on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK
 spent a total of 18 months outside the UK throughout the whole 10 year period.

Since, you were absent for more than 6-months at a stretch... continuous residency is broken

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:08 pm

confused90 wrote:Since, you were absent for more than 6-months at a stretch... continuous residency is broken
The OP is wanting to apply based on this period "31 january 2000 till 13 february 2010" as stated in his original post. Amber has advised accordingly already in terms of it being a possibility provided OP can prove his legal status during that time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.