ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mhamza
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by mhamza » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi mhamza,

I did not fill a new form, I just included the information in a letter. However, I just got word from my wife that I have received an interview letter! This letter was dated 17th Feb, same day I posted the extra bit of information. I will shortly update my timeline to reflect this.

Thanks[/quote]
That’s great Tobi! Congratulations! If you have a naturalisation certificate then you are the first one getting the interview letter without having the pain to go through the process of filling the form again. I hope they have make necessary amendments to their process because one really only have to provide the parents details if naturalised by descent. I hope they have made necessary amendments to the process. There was at least one more case when the interview letter was issued but the applicant was not able to book the interview until he got the infamous letter and filled the form again.
I sincerely hope that this does not happen to you.
Wish you all the best

Goblin

Post by Goblin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:34 am

My husband applied for his a week ago, but we just came across this information today. I wish I had seen these post before.
Now, I just hope he is lucky as you and doesn't receive the infamous letter. But looks, like most of them do.
When you sent that letter to them which address you posted to. As, the online application was posted to different address & paper application has different address on the envelope. We don't want to wait for it & send it anyway.
Should we post the paper application form to same address as of online.
I know you just sent them a letter, but there was someone-- read one of the post. He had sent a covering letter mentioning all the parents details along with his declaration form but he was sent the letter & paper form anyway.
Quite confused as what to do now. Anyone could help.

PS- we don't want to wait for them to contact us as My husband has to travel by mid march for work. We thought this will be done by then, but looks like not really :( :(

[quote="Tobi"]See updates in Red

[quote="Tobi"]Hi all,

here is the timeline for my application.

Status: [b]Awaiting information from applicant - 12/02/2015[/b]
Online declaration sent: [b]12/02/2015[/b]
Online declaration delivered: [b]13/02/2015[/b]
Status: [b]Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015[/b]
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) sent: [b]17/02/2015[/b]
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) delivered: [b]18/02/2015[/b]
Status: [b]Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015 (unchanged)[/b]
Interview letter received: [b][color=#FF0000]19/02/2015, dated 17/02/2015[/color][/b]
Interview date: [b][color=#FF0000]24/02/2015[/color][/b]
Status: [b]Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015 (unchanged)[/b]
Documents returned: [b]waiting...[/b]
Passport received: [b]waiting...[/b]
[/quote]

Seems I did not need the parents information afterall....[/quote]

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:47 am

Hi Goblin,

I sent the information to the same address as I originally sent the declaration form and other documents. It was a POBox address in Belfast.

Regards

Goblin

Post by Goblin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks Tobi

My husband has received a letter today with the form to be filled in again.
But it has return label with a reference, which should avoid much delay as they will link it to the online application already submitted.
I fail, to understand why can't they fix their incompetent systems they clearly don't fit the purpose. We have even lodged a complaint regarding the same but I am quite sure nothing will be done.
As you didn't get this letter but most of others are getting clearly shows that all case workers are not even aware of how online applications work for naturalised citizens.
They are wasting applicants time and even there's.
But I am glad that at least they are not that slow, they are trying to revert back in a week's time.
Good luck to all.

[quote="Tobi"]Hi Goblin,

I sent the information to the same address as I originally sent the declaration form and other documents. It was a POBox address in Belfast.

Regards[/quote]

Tobi
Newly Registered

Post by Tobi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:24 pm

See updates in Red
Tobi wrote:Hi all,

here is the timeline for my application.

Online declaration sent: 12/02/2015
Online declaration delivered: 13/02/2015
Status: Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) sent: 17/02/2015
Additional information (parents, grandparents info) delivered: 18/02/2015
Status: Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015 (unchanged)
Interview letter received: 19/02/2015, dated 17/02/2015
Interview date: 24/02/2015
Status: Declaration form received, being processed - 16/02/2015 (unchanged)
Documents returned: 24/02/2015
Passport received: 25/02/2015
Good luck to all still waiting...

bazinga
Newly Registered

Post by bazinga » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 pm

tobi wrote: Hi do you any update guys?
wish you all a very good luck.
Thanks! My status changed yesterday to "Declaration form received, being processed". Hopefully I will hear of something soon :)

hoederer
Newly Registered

Post by hoederer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:33 am

Me again, so here is the timeline for those who are interested....

Application Timeline
Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New
Method of application: Online :x
Date of application: Feb 4 2015
Date application received by IPS: Feb 5 2015, declaration form received, being processed
Date of the infamous letter saying I am missing section xyz :evil: : Feb 12 2015 (the letter was dated Feb 9)
Date second application received: Feb 16 2015
Date of return of documents and date of receipt of interview letter: Feb 18 2015
Date of Passport Appointment: Feb 23 was the earliest, but I couldn't make it so I picked Feb 28
Date of Passport Receipt: March 3 2015

It wasn't so bad at the end---lost a week or so but they really need to fix the bug..... :x

Cidfen
Newly Registered

Post by Cidfen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi, Thanks again.
I've done some search and couldnt found any related info. could you post/refer a official link?

hoederer
Newly Registered

Post by hoederer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Cidfen wrote:Hi, Thanks again.
I've done some search and couldnt found any related info. could you post/refer a official link?
I would just do the normal check and send if I were you... :D

akhurshid
United Kingdom

Post by akhurshid » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:25 pm

hoederer wrote:
Cidfen wrote:Hi, Thanks again.
I would just do the normal check and send if I were you... :D
**Serious post**
Use paper application and don't use check and send. Post the application yourself by special delivery. Staff at most post offices are poorly trained.
All you need to apply for passport is application form, photos, citizenship certificate and other passport/s.
HMPO will not refuse your application if something is missing or wrong. They will only refuse your application if you are not entitled to a passport.
If you use check and send, you are paying slightly more money and there is high chance that staff at PO will make you send more documents than what is required. If you don't have it, they'll be reluctant to send your application. Even if they do send your application, you'll be thinking about alot of what ifs. So basically you are paying more to get more tension.
That is what I think. It will be up to you though.

Babloo85

Post by Babloo85 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Hello. Just a couple of questions.
Referee who signs the passport form, is professional and British but he doesn't have British Passport as he never needed one. Does the referee defo needs to have British passport or can he leave the passport number box blank ?

Second question is do I need to send the birth certificate for my child's first passport or does the Mothers British passport number enough.

Thanks

BeenThruItAll
Newly Registered

Post by BeenThruItAll » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Babloo85 wrote:Hello. Just a couple of questions.
Referee who signs the passport form, is professional and British but he doesn't have British Passport as he never needed one. Does the referee defo needs to have British passport or can he leave the passport number box blank ?

Second question is do I need to send the birth certificate for my child's first passport or does the Mothers British passport number enough.

Thanks
If the instructions state you need something, you have to include it in your application.
So you need to find someone with a British passport that can act as your referee. Don't set yourself up to get your application rejected...

blueberry1986

Post by blueberry1986 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I wish I had read this before I completed the online application!
I did fill in my parents details........it asked for them but really they are irrelevant as they are not British Nationals.
So people who have filled in details online did you still get the letter?

pwh
Newly Registered

Post by pwh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:04 pm

I can confirm the online system still doesn't work for naturalised citizens, you will still get a paper form to complete section 4 and it will delay processing. Timeline so far follows.

Application Timeline
Application Type: New (naturalised)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 8 March 2015 (posted first class 9 March 2015)
Date application received by IPS: Unknown (no SMS received)
Date of return of documents: Waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Waiting
Date of Passport Appointment: Waiting
Date of Passport Receipt: Waiting

Additional timeline information:
Status after applying online: Error message that "Application status not available"
HMPO sent letter dated 12 March to the effect they were unable to get my details out of the online system due to system errors and I should complete a paper form (which I did not).
Online status at some point changed to Awaiting information from the applicant
Rang HMPO 30 March and they said their online system was working now and they could see my details and they would put it back in the pile for processing and the paper form was not needed after all
Online status at some point changed to Declaration form received, being processed
Rang HMPO 8 April and they assured me the application was being processed and not to worry. Which turned out to be completely inaccurate...
Received the dreaded "complete section 4" letter with another paper form to complete on 9 April dated 2 April requesting I complete section 4 on parents (do not complete other sections, do not sign) as the online system did not request it. Posted back 10 April.
Online status still says Declaration form received, being processed

Now in excess of 1 month and still no letter to set up an interview. Do not use the online system if you are a naturalised citizen, and don't bother calling the call centre, they will palm you off with inaccurate information that it is being processed when in fact they requested further information and the online status was inaccurate.

blueberry1986

Post by blueberry1986 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:33 pm

pwh wrote:I can confirm the online system still doesn't work for naturalised citizens, you will still get a paper form to complete section 4 and it will delay processing. Timeline so far follows.

Application Timeline

Status after applying online: Error message that "Application status not available"
HMPO sent letter dated 12 March to the effect they were unable to get my details out of the online system due to system errors and I should complete a paper form (which I did not).
Rang HMPO 30 March and they said their online system was working now and they could see my details and they would put it back in the pile for processing and the paper form was not needed after all
Online status at some point changed to Declaration form received, being processed
Rang HMPO 8 April and they assured me the application was being processed and not to worry. Which turned out to be completely inaccurate...
Received the dreaded "complete section 4" letter with another paper form to complete on 9 April dated 2 April requesting I complete section 4 on parents (do not complete other sections, do not sign) as the online system did not request it. Posted back 10 April.

Now in excess of 1 month and still no letter to set up an interview. Do not use the online system if you are a naturalised citizen, and don't bother calling the call centre, they will palm you off with inaccurate information that it is being processed when in fact they requested further information and the online status was inaccurate.
How irritating!
in the passport application timeline post there is a poster who applied online mid march and received a passport yesterday, they haven't mentioned the section 4 letter.
Did they ask for parents details when you applied online? if not its possible they have fixed this issue in recent weeks as I was asked for parents and grandparents details, which I filled in.

pwh
Newly Registered

Post by pwh » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:38 am

blueberry1986 wrote:
pwh wrote:I can confirm the online system still doesn't work for naturalised citizens, you will still get a paper form to complete section 4 and it will delay processing. Timeline so far follows.

Application Timeline

How irritating!
in the passport application timeline post there is a poster who applied online mid march and received a passport yesterday, they haven't mentioned the section 4 letter.
Did they ask for parents details when you applied online? if not its possible they have fixed this issue in recent weeks as I was asked for parents and grandparents details, which I filled in.
No, I was not asked for parents or grandparents information in the online application. I recall messages that the online system would be down for planned maintenance around mid March, perhaps they rolled out an update then to request the info for naturalised citizens. So maybe it is fixed now.

vivienna
Newly Registered

Post by vivienna » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi guys
Can you apply for a British passport before you attend a citizenship ceremony and receive the certificate? Or do you have to wait until after the ceremony and then apply?

Thanks!

blueberry1986

Post by blueberry1986 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:25 pm

no you must fill in the number and date of the certificate

pwh
Newly Registered

Post by pwh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:57 am

Application Timeline

Further delays: I received a letter dated 13 April asking why I wanted documents returned to an address other than my residential address (its because my work mail is more secure than mail to home) and requesting a letter from my employer on letterhead stating I work then and I have permission to receive mail there. If this is an additional documentation requirement, then why isn't this requested by the online system at time of application instead of 6 weeks later? If I knew additional documentation would be required, I wouldn't have bothered entering an alternative delivery address. So 6 weeks now and no sign of an interview letter.

I recommend:
* DON'T use the online system if you are naturalised (though according to some reports this may have been recently addressed)
* DON'T specify an alternative delivery address (more hoops to jump through which will delay the process)

vivienna
Newly Registered

Post by vivienna » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 pm

blueberry1986 wrote:no you must fill in the number and date of the certificate
Thank you! More waiting then...

blueberry1986

Post by blueberry1986 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

I received an interview letter this morning (application arrived in Glasgow on Tuesday) and have booked one for Friday 24 April.
Looks like the problems with the online form have been fixed.

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Just basic renewal of expired passports from the states here. British born with naturalized spouse. From what I understand so far, spouse's naturalization certificate or any counter signatures are not needed. Just sign and send the declarations, photos, copies of non-British passports, and expired British passports.

Haven't completed the online process yet, but has anyone else had different or additional requirements for basic renewal?

Richard8655
Newly Registered

Post by Richard8655 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Sorry, nevermind to above post. The online system works smoothly as described and expected with no additional requirements in my basic renewal case. Successfully submitted application.

CHUDHARY

Post by CHUDHARY » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:55 am

Hi dear member
please avoid online application if you can at moment it seems there is a problem with it. i have applied my daughter first passport (naturalised) on 2/04/2015 online and post the declaration form. on 20/04 received a letter from Passport office with a pepper application to fill as they had a problem with online application. filled application form, got signed from free sent back and waiting for the out come now.

blueberry1986

Post by blueberry1986 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:36 pm

I can confirm the online system worked for me as a naturalised citizen for a first passport.
I had my interview yesterday at London Victoria and am now awaiting the passport in the post.