ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

67 points level - set to rise soon?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Snowball
Newly Registered

67 points level - set to rise soon?

Post by Snowball » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:54 am

There is a rumour going round that the minimum number of points required for a SW visa from the UK is set to rise soon from 67 to 70/75 to reduce the number of people eligible for immigration. This in response to massive increase in numbers applying compared to quota of visas available yearly. Anyone know anything about this?

Richter

Post by Richter » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:03 am

Yes, I have heard about this. Sounds logical I suppose, bearing in mind the huge numbers applying since introduction of simplified application process, but will badly affect a lot of people - if, and that is if, it happens.

NOMADNEAT
Newly Registered

Post by NOMADNEAT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 am

You'll be pleased to hear those reports are untrue! I spoke to an experienced, well-reputed immigration consultant last night and he assured me there are no plans at the moment to change the current points threshold. Good news, considering it's only been a few years since the 67 points mark came in!

Yay :-)

Richter

Post by Richter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 pm

That's good to hear. Would you be able to ask him to comment on claims by another immigration agent (not on this forum) that the waiting for those applying after Sept 06 will be more like 10 years and not 5? I can't see how this can be - there will be an awful lot of people in their late 50s and early 60s going if that is the case.

NOMADNEAT
Newly Registered

Post by NOMADNEAT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:01 pm

Not heard that, although the arrogant man I spoke to at VISA PLUS yesterday did say it's more like 5 years now and he also tried to convince me that 40% of people who achieve at least 67 points are being turned away because of the huge influx of Brits trying to get into Canada. I subsequently spoke to a much more affable man at another agency (the same guy who told me about the points mark not changing) and he said this was rubbish and the guy was just trying to make it seem impossible to get in without using his services.

We don't get enough points without a job offer (only 62) but we wouldn't consider selling our house and uprooting our family to another country without a guaranteed job when we arrive anyway, and once we get the job we'll get a temporary work visa and then apply for our P.R. visa, which takes less than a year once you have job offer or are already working in the country. So unless you plan to go over without a job, I wouldn't worry about the long timeframe - get yourself a job offer and this will automatically expedite your application.

Good luck!

Richter

Post by Richter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:38 pm

I wonder if immigration consultants have seen a big drop in the number of clients using their services since the introduction of the simplified application process?

Before that when you were confronted by a mountain of paperwork from the off, a lot of people naturally called on their services. Since Sept 06 when a simple two-page form is all that is required to apply initially, perhaps more people are doing it themselves and thinking about possibly using a consultant further down the line, some years away?

Tshashy
Newly Registered

Post by Tshashy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,
were plannng on immigrating to canada. Can anyone advise whether we should use an immigration consultant or whther the paperwork is quite straight forward. Have been in touch with visa centre but is very costly. :D

Richter

Post by Richter » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:54 am

If you have a fairly straightforward application it is easy to do it yourself. If you are borderline on points it is probably advisable to use a consultant as a lot of people find some of the points they claim for are not awarded through not understanding the way points are allocated.

Tshashy
Newly Registered

Post by Tshashy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:00 pm

We got a preliminary assessment from the Visacentre and this states that we have 72 points. Should this be enough to complete the application ourselves. :? 8)

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:09 pm

If your points have been professionally assessed there should be no problem. It is

Nick32
Newly Registered

Slow processing

Post by Nick32 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Hi everybody. am a newbie. Applied for canadian SW since feb 2005. Am Ghanian doctor. live in home country. Anybody really know why its taking so long

TRV

Post by TRV » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Feb 2005? What is dated on your AOR? I applied in March 2005 but got AOR in May 2005. Got request for medicals last month. The wait depends on nationality, where you have applied etc., I am Indian applied in London as I lived there in 2005. Look at the embassy webpage where you have applied for current process times.

hope this helps.

tracie107
Newly Registered

Post by tracie107 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi, I am a newbie and would just like to share what happened to me.

My OH and I replied to an advert regarding jobs in Canada, the company turned out to be immigration consultants. We used them initally to obtain the correct number of points and on finding out we had more than enough decided to proceed to the next stage..................that was until we were told the fees were £10,000 from start to finish :o

I then decided whatever they can do I can do better and therefore took it upon myself to find my husband a job. I emailed his CV to 5 companies, in British Columbia in the areas we were prepared to live, the next day my husband got a phone call from one of the companies, this carried on to 4 phone calls every evening at 8pm (UK). On 4th day they offered my husband a job.

Within such conversations whereby they sold the company and the place to us they didn't want it on their conscience if we didn't like it and therefore paid for us to go out to Kelowna for 3 days. We loved it and his employers could not do enough for us, chauffering us around, taking us to dinner, it was great! Then to our surprise on the 2nd day of our visit they had arranged for professional people to come in and handle our application this cost them several thousand dollars. :D

Our application is now being fast tracked through the PNP route as it turns out my husbands skills are in demand and the province will sponser him. This is the fastest route to gain entry to Canada along with this we are also applying for Permanent Residence.

By taking the PNP route the job itself does not have to go through HRDSC for their approval, furthermore the paperwork is virtually nothing but the basic questions. No evidence is required other than police clearance and medicals.

Perhaps we are very lucky in my husband's prospective employers doing all this for us, but it really does pay to get in touch and apply direct to companies. Some may reply and others may not but you have to keep on going and someone will want you.

So if you are all wondering about immigration consultants..................just go through the forms yourself and if you really cannot complete them then call upon their help. But for the sake of spending ££££££££££'s all it takes is a few weekends to complete the forms. Most of it for some people is gathering information on your previous years history, education, jobs etc. If you cannot get certain bits of information then I know from other forums that people have offered full explanations as to why they cannot gather such info, this was sufficient as they are now PR's in Canada.

So don't be worried or freaked out by it all just take your time and apply.

Good Luck to you all.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:51 pm

tracie107 wrote:Hi, I am a newbie and would just like to share what happened to me.
Good info, And I highly recommend people really try to do the application themselves before considering immigration consultants. You are always responsible for the content of the application and should understand what it entails.
If after you look at the application, you feel like you need help, then by all means get help

tracie107
Newly Registered

Post by tracie107 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Sorry I would also like to add to my previous post in case I was not clear enough about filling in the forms:-

Before we were luckily enough to go through the PNP route I completed the forms for Skilled Workers application and managed to gather alot of the evidence. With regards to previous employers references all I did was email the companies if they were still in business (as about 3 of mine were closed down and no longer existed) and the other 2 did not hold any records due to the time which had elapsed. Most companies don't really hold onto your records after a certain number of years.

Furthermore, if when applying to your previous employers ask them if they do not hold any details of your employment can they please send a letter stating this, that way you will have the information to send as part of your application. Also make sure you write the reason why you cannot give such evidence ie. the company has gone into liquidation etc.

With regards to qualification/training evidence - my husband had all this available as it was part of his occupation he is currently in. For some of you, you may need to contact universities for copies of your qualifications.

Also more importantly just make sure that are no missing gaps ie. missing years in your application with your jobs and residential addresses. I know it is hard to think back but you don't have to be so specific with the months but most definately the years. To be honest we can all remember years but not so much the months!

I understand that most people get very frightened when filling out the forms but really they are not that bad, just straight forward questions about yourself and most of them are repeated.

I hope my posting is of use to some of you, as I just don't want people to spend money when they don't really have to :lol: - just think, you can spend that money on a shopping spree once you arrive in Canda!

Good Luck to you all :D