ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

INDIAN CITIZENSHIP LAW

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 pm

Unless there is some very urgent consideration, such as deportation or removal, you need to do the pre-action protocol, warning the other side that you are considering JR proceedings and giving them a chance to change their minds.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

fakira
- thin ice -

Post by fakira » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 am

del
Last edited by fakira on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:01 pm

The Home Office doesn't have to reply (they usually don't bother with pre-action letters, in my experience, but do sometimes) but you have to initiate the process, otherwise you can be penalised in costs later on.

You don't have hte right to judicially review a decision. You need to seek permission first. Your solicitor will either draft himself, or more likely get a barrister to draft (a LOT more likely, most solicitors don't have Rights of Audience in the High Court) grounds.

These are called "Grounds of Challenge" and set out the facts, the decision under challenge, and the ground(s) on which JR is sought.

The matter is then reviewed by a judge on the papers. He can do one of three things - grant permission, refuse permission, or direct that it be heard at an oral permission hearing, if he thinks that would help.

If it is granted on the papers, the matter is listed for a full JR hearing. If it is refused, you can apply within 7 days of the refusal for an oral permission hearing.

At an oral permission hearing, whether directed by the judge or applied for by the Claimant following refusal, the SSHD will normally be represented. Both sides explain why they think it should / shouldn't be granted, and the judge decides. If he grants permission, it is then listed for full JR hearing.

The test for permission is whether it is "arguable" that the decision was wrong in law, for one of the three reasons I set out earlier in the thread.

Timetables - to be considered on the papers is an average of 2-3 months. Grounds I drafted 9 weeks ago have just been considered, and I got an order yesterday granting permission.

JRs are being listed now for hearing in DEcember and January. My clerk listed a one-day JR hearing last week for mid-December, and a half-day one for early December.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

fakira
- thin ice -

Post by fakira » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:19 pm

thanks very very much for the detailed reply

fakira
- thin ice -

thanks very much amanda jones

Post by fakira » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 pm

i finally got the letter of approvalfor full citizenship from the home office
just to let you know that your reply kept me alive during months of agony after my initial refusal
the home office website clearly stated that i was eligible,i did not need qualifications in law to know that just plain common sense
i was very angry that i had to leave a good job in india to be fooled by the home office
i thought of the british to be above board so felt let down bt the home office
apparently the threat of a judicial review helped
i did not know what a judicial reciew was so your professional reply kept hope alive
thanks very much
i let out a lot of steam on this forum.cooled down after citizenship

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:47 pm

i thought of the british to be above board so felt let down bt the home office apparently the threat of a judicial review helped
Im sorry, you are going to be sadly dissapointed if you feel that there is any government on this earth that is/will be above board. There is only one government that is above board and it's not here.

Congratulations on this decision...I know you let off some steam on this boards, but as they say, all's well that ends well!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:28 am

archigabe wrote:There is only one government that is above board and it's not here.
Do tell, which one?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:15 am

The one that's not here :wink:

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:43 pm

Do you mean somewhere like there?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: thanks very much amanda jones

Post by Dawie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:59 pm

fakira wrote:i finally got the letter of approvalfor full citizenship from the home office
just to let you know that your reply kept me alive during months of agony after my initial refusal
the home office website clearly stated that i was eligible,i did not need qualifications in law to know that just plain common sense
i was very angry that i had to leave a good job in india to be fooled by the home office
i thought of the british to be above board so felt let down bt the home office
apparently the threat of a judicial review helped
i did not know what a judicial reciew was so your professional reply kept hope alive
thanks very much
Agony? You were in a good position. Even if they refused your application it would not have been possible to deport you from the UK.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

fakira
- thin ice -

Post by fakira » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:33 pm

finally i am to receive a letter inviting me to a citizenship ceremony.

question?
HOLDER IS SUBJECT TO CONTROL UNDER THE IMMIGRATION ACT
this is the endorsement at the back of my boc.will it change?
i let out a lot of steam on this forum.cooled down after citizenship