ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Application: Can you use any period of 5 years in Uk?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PeterLilith
Newly Registered

New Application: Can you use any period of 5 years in Uk?

Post by PeterLilith » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:16 am

Hello everyone,

I tried to apply before and asked for help here too but gathering additional evidence and other time constrains prevented me from applying sooner. I want to finish this application by end of May the latest and when looking into it again, I noticed the new application.

For the most part I think it will make it easier for me to apply as it has sections it didn't have before and more options to input things I'd have to otherwise explain in a letter. I want to apply with my father, he will have it easier than me since he was employed all the time but I am relying on my dependance and age to have my residency confirmed.

To give you brief info; my father arrived to Uk in 2004 and was self-employed in the building industry from day one, until the recession and then started moving to full time employment elsewhere. I came to Uk in August 2005 and studied until 2013, my first job started in November 2013.

Since we didn't know I'd need CSI, my options are limited to being a depended child of my father before I was 21 and few years after. I would like to use the period between 2005 and 2011 to confirm my residency, I was 14 in August 2005 and turned 21 in September 2011.

What makes me unsure, and what I would like to check here, is if anyone has experience using years that are not the last 5 years from the date of application.

The reason I am asking is that one section makes it sound like you can apply and use past years, but then other section is more like "use this if you are now 21 or over", which I am.

Thank you for any help.

rosebead
Member of Standing

Re: New Application: Can you use any period of 5 years in Uk

Post by rosebead » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:07 am

You can by law use any 5 year window for PR confirmation, although before April 2006 someone who may have acquired Article 16 permanent residence could lose it if the EEA national took more than 2 years break from exercising Treaty rights before that date. If you wish to apply in the category of a descendant under 21, you will have to provide self-employment/employment proofs from your father for the relevant period and hopefully he still has them. Pages 111-112 of the EEA(PR) form lists the employment proofs that the Home Office like to see and pages 120-123 lists the self-employment proofs.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Who exactly is the EU citizen in this situation?

PeterLilith
Newly Registered

Post by PeterLilith » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks rosebead. My father does have all the documents, well now we do anyway, it took a while to get it all.

and we are both EU citizens.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:04 pm

I am curious. Why bother applying for confirmation of your PR status if you are European? The only reason I can immediately think of is if you are Croatian or if you want to make a simpler application for Citizenship later.

PeterLilith
Newly Registered

Post by PeterLilith » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

Well, as far as I know, you need this to be able to apply for citizenship, no? At least thats what they told me when I went to ask for help from council.

I wouldn't bother if I could just get citizenship without this, since that is what I am after.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:59 pm

In general it is not needed.

Though the PR confirmation for EU citizens costs only £65 and so is cheap and easy to get out of the way now. If they reject your citizenship application saying you do not have PR then you may loose a larger application fee.

PeterLilith
Newly Registered

Post by PeterLilith » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:45 am

Yeah that is half my reason for doing it, loosing £65 I can live with, loosing around £1,000 would be lot harder.