ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation approval letter and ceremony letter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khurramalvi
United Kingdom

Naturalisation approval letter and ceremony letter

Post by khurramalvi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi Members,

My wife applied for Naturalisation on 6th March 2015. It seems like delay from UKBA in processing application.

She is planning to visit home and stay there for 6 months. Does this make any problem in obtaining ceremony and passport interview dates? I will be here to receive her letter and possibly book ceremony date for her. I am aware of 90 days limit for applying naturalisation application out of 12 months. Is there limitation for the ceremony date?

Will 3-4 months gap for ceremony, passport interview and application of passport could raise concerns?

Edit: I was reading the letter receive for my application and realise there is a 3 month period to book ceremony. Hope this will help any person who is looking for answer.

Now the other question, is there any date limit for applying passport after getting naturalisation certificate? She has Pakistani passport and eligible for dual nationality. Does the ILR status expire after obtaining naturalisation certificate?

Please advise or share experience.

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation approval letter and ceremony letter

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Ceremony must be BOOKED within 21 days and the applicant must ATTEND ceremony within 90 days from date of approval letter.

There is no requirement to apply for a British passport. Your spouse can do that when she returns to the UK or feels ready to do it.

She should be fine to travel on ILR BRP and foreign passport but I would not recommend doing it long term if she is British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:54 pm

CR001 wrote:Ceremony must be BOOKED within 21 days and the applicant must ATTEND ceremony within 90 days from date of approval letter.
Ceremony SHOULD be booked within 21 days. If you don't you'll probably create more hassle and paperwork for yourself though. In fact, it seems after 3 months they'll write to you and ask for an explanation. If you don't give an explanation or it's not reasonable, then your application will be refused. They can give an extension for a variety of reasons detailed in 6.11.22.6 including being abroad, though personally I wouldn't rely on been given an extension.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:59 pm

t123456789 wrote:
CR001 wrote:Ceremony must be BOOKED within 21 days and the applicant must ATTEND ceremony within 90 days from date of approval letter.
Ceremony SHOULD be booked within 21 days. If you don't you'll probably create more hassle and paperwork for yourself though. In fact, it seems after 3 months they'll write to you and ask for an explanation. If you don't give an explanation or it's not reasonable, then your application will be refused. They can give an extension for a variety of reasons detailed in 6.11.22.6 including being abroad, though personally I wouldn't rely on been given an extension.
The link says:
6.11.22.3 The ceremony invitation letter should:

 Advise the applicant to contact the appropriate local authority to arrange attendance at a citizenship ceremony (the letter should contain details of who the applicant should contact to arrange attendance)

Advise the applicant of the time limit for attending the ceremony

 Enclose the ceremony guidance notes which will confirm what action is required and the oath/affirmation and pledge the applicant will be required to say at the ceremony

 Advise the applicant that the local authority may refuse them permission to take part in the citizenship ceremony if they fail to produce the original ceremony invitation letter when requested on the day of the ceremony

 Advise the applicant that the local authority may require them to produce evidence of identity (including a photograph)
The bold part gives an open authority to local councils in my view. Which many choose be 21 days. However, Home office clearly says to attend within three months.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

khurramalvi
United Kingdom

Post by khurramalvi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for clarification.

There is no requirement to apply for a British passport. Your spouse can do that when she returns to the UK or feels ready to do it.

She should be fine to travel on ILR BRP and foreign passport but I would not recommend doing it long term if she is British.

khurramalvi
United Kingdom

Post by khurramalvi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks fwd079 and t123456789 for sharing link.

I will encourage my wife to complete process before leaving UK.

storm55
Newly Registered

Post by storm55 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:54 pm

I have got a question. I phoned my council several times about booking of a private citizenship ceremony. All the time they ask my details and after that they tell me you have to wait for a message. 15 days are gone since the date I have received my invitation letter. The council didn't send me anything so far. Is it ok? By law I have to book my citizenship ceremony within 21 days after receiving a citizenship invitation. I started to worry about it. What should I do if the council would not reply in a week's time?

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:38 pm

storm55 wrote:I have got a question. I phoned my council several times about booking of a private citizenship ceremony. All the time they ask my details and after that they tell me you have to wait for a message. 15 days are gone since the date I have received my invitation letter. The council didn't send me anything so far. Is it ok? By law I have to book my citizenship ceremony within 21 days after receiving a citizenship invitation. I started to worry about it. What should I do if the council would not reply in a week's time?
I would go there in person asap and insist on some kind of proper response.