ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - Passport Expired

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

a.agrawal
Newly Registered

Naturalisation - Passport Expired

Post by a.agrawal » Fri May 01, 2015 11:27 am

Hi,

I am now eligible for Naturalisation, but my Indian Passport is getting expired next month on 6th June 2015, I am not planning for any travel in next 3-4 months, do I need to first get my Indian passport renew before applying for Naturalisaiton or shall I just apply for it and then apply for British passport.

Is there any legal requirement to have a valid Passport at anytime in UK.

Thanks,
Anurag

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation - Passport Expired

Post by fwd079 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:31 am

a.agrawal wrote:Hi,

I am now eligible for Naturalisation, but my Indian Passport is getting expired next month on 6th June 2015, I am not planning for any travel in next 3-4 months, do I need to first get my Indian passport renew before applying for Naturalisaiton or shall I just apply for it and then apply for British passport.

Is there any legal requirement to have a valid Passport at anytime in UK.

Thanks,
Anurag
No its not a legal requirement.
Apply through NCS and you dont have to worry about anything. They'll give you your passport back after photocopying it. Then you can renew it anytime you like.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:32 am

When are you applying?

You should be fine with your current passport even if it expires while your application is in process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Fri May 01, 2015 11:56 am

CR001 wrote:When are you applying?

You should be fine with your current passport even if it expires while your application is in process.
I have a relevant query. My passport (also Indian) expires on 1st of June 2015 and have already applied for naturalisation (8th April) and only today, my fee was deducted.

Assuming (being extremely optimistic, i might add) my application is approved and I get my naturalisation certificate before the end of May. In a situation, while I wait for my British passport (3 to 4 weeks), my Indian passport would have expired. What should I do if I have an urgent travel? Obviously I cannot expedite the first British passport application. Can I renew my Indian passport having attended ceremony and naturalized as British? Is that even allowed? Or should I play safe and renew my passport now!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 03, 2015 1:07 pm

vignezh wrote:
CR001 wrote:When are you applying?

I have a relevant query. My passport (also Indian) expires on 1st of June 2015 and have already applied for naturalisation (8th April) and only today, my fee was deducted.

Assuming (being extremely optimistic, i might add) my application is approved and I get my naturalisation certificate before the end of May. In a situation, while I wait for my British passport (3 to 4 weeks), my Indian passport would have expired. What should I do if I have an urgent travel? Obviously I cannot expedite the first British passport application. Can I renew my Indian passport having attended ceremony and naturalized as British? Is that even allowed? Or should I play safe and renew my passport now!
My understanding (from these forums) is that India does not permit dual citizenship, although you can then apply for 'OCI' status.

On this basis I doubt the embassy would renew your Indian passport after your UK naturalisation ceremony as you would no longer be considered an Indian citizen.

Suggest safest bet is to crosscheck with your embassy asap.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 03, 2015 4:13 pm

I have not undergone the process myself, but I believe that if you have been resident here long enough to get naturalisation, the Indian High Commission will ask you to get a letter from the Home Office stating that you are not a British citizen. Factor the time in of getting the letter (which the Home Office will charge for) and then getting the Indian passport for a matter of weeks before it becomes invalid.