ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application / child / marriage

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

severineseverine
Newly Registered

Naturalisation application / child / marriage

Post by severineseverine » Fri May 01, 2015 1:06 pm

Hello
I am a french National lady who has been living and working in the UK for the last 10 years.
I hold a PGCE (post graduate certificate in education0 gained while living in the UK in an English University which included dissertaions in English.
I now would like to apply for a UK passport.

Please could you help with the following

1 my application
ENGLISH SPEAKING TEST
Please could you advise whether my qualification would be consider valid as a speaking or listening qualification in English? or as an academic qualification? Do I still need to have it authorized by the Naric?
LIFE IN THE UK TEST
Do i have to pass the test? Do i have to pass the test even if I get married with my partner who is a British citizen?

2 WHich advantage does marrying my partner who is British bring to the difficulty/financial expense of the application?

3 Would my children (both born before 2006), one born in the UK, the other in France, would both become eligible for UK passport after my application is successful, without any other naturalisation costs? The father (my partner) is British and we have been living in the UK for the last 10 years without any stays abroad.

Thank you very much for your help. :D

Séverine

severineseverine
Newly Registered

DUAL NATIONALITY can u keep it when you ask for UK passport?

Post by severineseverine » Fri May 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello,

Please could I have your help also on this:
I hold a French passport and a Italian passport.
If i go through the process of naturalisation as I have lived in the UK for 10 years, will I still be able to hold my passports? I seem to understand that you need to hand in all your valid passports when you apply for a british one. :shock: I do not want to loos my other nationalities.

Will I be able to keep the 3 nationalities? :?:
I would be very grateful of your help!

Best regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation application / child / marriage

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:16 pm

I now would like to apply for a UK passport.
This only come after you have been approved and attended your ceremony following an application for naturalisation as a British citizen.
1 my application
ENGLISH SPEAKING TEST
Please could you advise whether my qualification would be consider valid as a speaking or listening qualification in English? or as an academic qualification? Do I still need to have it authorized by the Naric? Only a degree would meet the English requirement. A certificate does not unfortunately and you would need to do the English B1 test
LIFE IN THE UK TEST
Do i have to pass the test? Do i have to pass the test even if I get married with my partner who is a British citizen? Yes, all adult applicants, regardless of which route they apply in, must pass this test. Only certain people are exempt.

2 WHich advantage does marrying my partner who is British bring to the difficulty/financial expense of the application?There is no advantage and no reduction in application fee. Each person applying needs to meet the requirments, regardless of which route they are applying in.

3 Would my children (both born before 2006), one born in the UK, the other in France, would both become eligible for UK passport after my application is successful, without any other naturalisation costs? The father (my partner) is British and we have been living in the UK for the last 10 years without any stays abroad. They don't automatically become British because you are. They would need to apply on form MN1 and there is an individual fee for each applicant. If you obtained permanent residency following exercising your treaty rights, and depending on when that was automatically obtained, your UK born might be British by birth. The Alternatively, your UK born child has an entitlement to register on MN1, with the fee, under section 1(3) of the nationality act as a British citizen once you obtained PR. More detail of your residence in the UK would be needed to advise on the best route. Your foreign born child should be able to register on MN1 after you are British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: DUAL NATIONALITY can u keep it when you ask for UK passp

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:20 pm

severineseverine wrote:Hello,

If i go through the process of naturalisation as I have lived in the UK for 10 years, will I still be able to hold my passports? I seem to understand that you need to hand in all your valid passports when you apply for a british one. :shock: I do not want to loos my other nationalities.

Best regards
You are misunderstanding the requirement. You do not lose your other nationalities. You have to submit all valid passports with your application. HO returns them to you. The UK has no authority to remove your foreign nationalities.

P.S. I have merged your post with your other one.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/announ ... t5722.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 01, 2015 1:31 pm

If you marry your children's British father, then your UK-born child will automatically be British otherwise than by descent. Moreover, if the father is British otherwise than by descent, then your French born child will automatically be British by descent.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:34 pm

vinny wrote:If you marry your children's British father, then your UK-born child will automatically be British otherwise than by descent. Moreover, if the father is British otherwise than by descent, then your French born child will automatically be British by descent.
Ahh, thanks Vinny, knew I forgot something :oops:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

severineseverine
Newly Registered

Post by severineseverine » Fri May 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank you so much for your replies!
Very useful!
Regarding my qualification: What I hold is a degree from an Italian university, which is recognized by Naric, then I hold a Post Graduate certificate from a Uk university, hence higher that a degree if it makes sense? Surely I should not do the b1 test?!? :shock:

severineseverine
Newly Registered

Post by severineseverine » Fri May 01, 2015 4:06 pm

1 my application
ENGLISH SPEAKING TEST
Please could you advise whether my qualification would be consider valid as a speaking or listening qualification in English? or as an academic qualification? Do I still need to have it authorized by the Naric? Only a degree would meet the English requirement. A certificate does not unfortunately and you would need to do the English B1 test
[/quote]

Sorry comment above relates to this... Thanks!

noajthan

Re: DUAL NATIONALITY can u keep it when you ask for UK passp

Post by noajthan » Sun May 03, 2015 11:57 am

severineseverine wrote:Hello,

Best regards
Here is the UK gov position on dual nationality:
https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

Just be aware of the name in which you will apply for naturalisation (married or maiden name):
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crac ... -detection

- the impact of this recent policy discussed here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html

You may need to check the surname you will apply in now and compare it to the name/s used on your other passports (if any are different).

Bon chance
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 03, 2015 1:57 pm

severineseverine wrote:Thank you so much for your replies!
Very useful!
Regarding my qualification: What I hold is a degree from an Italian university, which is recognized by Naric, then I hold a Post Graduate certificate from a Uk university, hence higher that a degree if it makes sense? Surely I should not do the b1 test?!? :shock:
Regarding the English language requirements, this post seems to address it:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 44784.html

or, straight from the horse's mouth:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/overview

Hope it helps.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.