ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA 2 application in process. Can I travel abroad now?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rkg88
Newly Registered

EEA 2 application in process. Can I travel abroad now?

Post by rkg88 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:17 am

Hi, I need some advice regarding my EEA2 application and travelling abroad alone. It feels pretty complicated to me at this point and I would really appreciate some help as I'm very frustrated with the unhelpful answers provided by the respective offices!! :cry:

Some background: I'm from Singapore (non-visa national), held a Dutch residency card for 5 years (expired in november 2014), married to an English citizen who worked in the Netherlands for the past 10 years. We lived together in the netherlands for 5 years before recently moving back to the UK for good.

In november 2014, as we were planning for our move, we were advised by the Home office to apply for a family permit in the netherlands prior to entering the UK. We made the appointment but was turned away on the day as we were told that I did not require a family permit with my Singaporean passport. After alot of confusion, we moved to the UK in december 2014, and I entered the UK (with a load of questions from the immigration officer at Gatwick airport) on a 6 months tourist stamp in my passport. Our plan was for me to fly to Singapore after Christmas and new year to do my application from there. However, after calling the Home Office for the umpteen time, we were told that I did not need to go to Singapore to apply but could do it from within the UK. By which point, we were advised to make an EEA2 application for a residence card.

I applied with all the necessary documents on 30th December 2014, received my certificate of application on 13th Jan 2015 and I'm currently waiting for a final answer. However, due to family reasons, I need to make an urgent trip back home for a week and requested for my documents back. I was also advised by the Home Office to call the Border Control office at Heathrow and get a badge number of the officer I would speak to, which I did. I spoke to an officer on duty and was also referred to her supervision on duty. I asked them if it was fine for me to travel back to Singapore and also raised my concerns on being turned away and sent back to Singapore when I return to the UK. Their unhelpful words were: 1) We can't guarantee safe passage back into the UK, it would depend on the immigration officer on the day itself, giving me a 50/50 chance of success (I understand that but I find it very disconcerting that my chances of entry back into the UK is dependent on an immigration officer's moods!!) 2) I have to apply for a family permit when in Singapore as when I return to the UK, I will no longer be classed as a tourist and therefore my passport would not grant me another 6 months tourist visa) 3) If I so choose to travel, my application with the Home Office will lapse and I will have to reapply when, or if I come back to the UK. I've just check with the Home Office and a very unhelpful guy told me pretty rudely that travelling will not affect my application. 4) The immigration officer in charge may assume that I have a marriage of convenience and will have the authority to turn me away.

I have been making calls and worrying myself crazy trying to make a decision. I have not been provided with any meaningful answers, and the people I have spoken to are so rude, unhelpful and accusational. My british husband seem to have more luck with nicer people when he calls but we both still do not have the answers we need.

So my questions are:
1) I'm faced with two impossible choices. On one hand, I need to see my grandmother who is ill and she asked for me. I don't want to NOT go back and risk not seeing her again. I will hate myself for the rest of my life. On the other hand, if I do risk it and go back to Singapore but get turned away by a grumpy immigration officer at Heathrow when I return to the UK, I will be apart from my husband for an indefinite amount of time. That would break both our hearts :( Should I travel back to Singapore and take the risk?
2) If I do go back, what can I do to maximise my chances of clearing immigration at Heathrow when I return? I'm planning to go for a week, take my dutch residency card, my husband's dutch residency card, marriage cert etc. What can I say to convince the immigration officer?
3) Can I try to fast track my application time to get my UK residence card by Feb before travelling?

Someone please help!!! Many thanks in advance!

aurora77

Re: EEA 2 application in process. Can I travel abroad now?

Post by aurora77 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi! I've read in some cases, they've travelled with just the COA but they were accompanied by their EEA spouse/partner.
rkg88 wrote:Hi, I need some advice regarding my EEA2 application and travelling abroad alone. It feels pretty complicated to me at this point and I would really appreciate some help as I'm very frustrated with the unhelpful answers provided by the respective offices!! :cry:

Some background: I'm from Singapore (non-visa national), held a Dutch residency card for 5 years (expired in november 2014), married to an English citizen who worked in the Netherlands for the past 10 years. We lived together in the netherlands for 5 years before recently moving back to the UK for good.

In november 2014, as we were planning for our move, we were advised by the Home office to apply for a family permit in the netherlands prior to entering the UK. We made the appointment but was turned away on the day as we were told that I did not require a family permit with my Singaporean passport. After alot of confusion, we moved to the UK in december 2014, and I entered the UK (with a load of questions from the immigration officer at Gatwick airport) on a 6 months tourist stamp in my passport. Our plan was for me to fly to Singapore after Christmas and new year to do my application from there. However, after calling the Home Office for the umpteen time, we were told that I did not need to go to Singapore to apply but could do it from within the UK. By which point, we were advised to make an EEA2 application for a residence card.

I applied with all the necessary documents on 30th December 2014, received my certificate of application on 13th Jan 2015 and I'm currently waiting for a final answer. However, due to family reasons, I need to make an urgent trip back home for a week and requested for my documents back. I was also advised by the Home Office to call the Border Control office at Heathrow and get a badge number of the officer I would speak to, which I did. I spoke to an officer on duty and was also referred to her supervision on duty. I asked them if it was fine for me to travel back to Singapore and also raised my concerns on being turned away and sent back to Singapore when I return to the UK. Their unhelpful words were: 1) We can't guarantee safe passage back into the UK, it would depend on the immigration officer on the day itself, giving me a 50/50 chance of success (I understand that but I find it very disconcerting that my chances of entry back into the UK is dependent on an immigration officer's moods!!) 2) I have to apply for a family permit when in Singapore as when I return to the UK, I will no longer be classed as a tourist and therefore my passport would not grant me another 6 months tourist visa) 3) If I so choose to travel, my application with the Home Office will lapse and I will have to reapply when, or if I come back to the UK. I've just check with the Home Office and a very unhelpful guy told me pretty rudely that travelling will not affect my application. 4) The immigration officer in charge may assume that I have a marriage of convenience and will have the authority to turn me away.

I have been making calls and worrying myself crazy trying to make a decision. I have not been provided with any meaningful answers, and the people I have spoken to are so rude, unhelpful and accusational. My british husband seem to have more luck with nicer people when he calls but we both still do not have the answers we need.

So my questions are:
1) I'm faced with two impossible choices. On one hand, I need to see my grandmother who is ill and she asked for me. I don't want to NOT go back and risk not seeing her again. I will hate myself for the rest of my life. On the other hand, if I do risk it and go back to Singapore but get turned away by a grumpy immigration officer at Heathrow when I return to the UK, I will be apart from my husband for an indefinite amount of time. That would break both our hearts :( Should I travel back to Singapore and take the risk?
2) If I do go back, what can I do to maximise my chances of clearing immigration at Heathrow when I return? I'm planning to go for a week, take my dutch residency card, my husband's dutch residency card, marriage cert etc. What can I say to convince the immigration officer?
3) Can I try to fast track my application time to get my UK residence card by Feb before travelling?

Someone please help!!! Many thanks in advance!