ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions around supporting docs & application - please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

KTRN
Newly Registered

Questions around supporting docs & application - please help

Post by KTRN » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello all,

I'm really sorry if this has already been asked and clarified before, but I have a couple of questions relating to my application (and upon reading this forum a couple more came up! :/ )

- I received my ILR in 2007 after my spouse visa. However we have unfortunately since separated and divorced. I obviously need to mention this on my form, but do I need to attach both marriage and divorce certificate?
- As a result of marriage I had changed my surname to my ex-husbands surname, so my bank account, work history, tax, national insurance are all in my married surname, which I kept using, although am thinking of dropping soon. The question I have - I didn't change it via deed poll, it was simply a matter of showing the spouse visa to bank / employers and they were happy with the surname. Will this be a problem? I will be applying for citizenship under my maiden name as that is what my current passport is under
- I live in a shared house where we split ownership of bills; as a result my name is on the water bill, but not council tax - will this be an issue? Do I need to add my name on?
- the application calls for tax office address - which tax office is it? the PAYE?
- also, I am on the brink of changing jobs (although my next role is not confirmed yet) - do I put my current employer as at the date of application or should I wait?

thank you for your help in advance!

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Questions around supporting docs & application - please

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:14 am

KTRN wrote: - I received my ILR in 2007 after my spouse visa. However we have unfortunately since separated and divorced. I obviously need to mention this on my form, but do I need to attach both marriage and divorce certificate?
Divorce certificate only.
KTRN wrote: - As a result of marriage I had changed my surname to my ex-husbands surname, so my bank account, work history, tax, national insurance are all in my married surname, which I kept using, although am thinking of dropping soon. The question I have - I didn't change it via deed poll, it was simply a matter of showing the spouse visa to bank / employers and they were happy with the surname. Will this be a problem? I will be applying for citizenship under my maiden name as that is what my current passport is under.
Use the name you have on your current passport. If its different than the one on your ILR, the explain in cover letter/notes and mention the divorce.
KTRN wrote: - I live in a shared house where we split ownership of bills; as a result my name is on the water bill, but not council tax - will this be an issue? Do I need to add my name on?
No.
KTRN wrote: - the application calls for tax office address - which tax office is it? the PAYE?
Your accountant can tell you about your Tax reference number, I am unclear on it so I asked my company accountant and wrote whatever she told me. I'd await more replies.
KTRN wrote: - also, I am on the brink of changing jobs (although my next role is not confirmed yet) - do I put my current employer as at the date of application or should I wait?
Provide the employment details you have at the time of application. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

noajthan

Re: Questions around supporting docs & application - please

Post by noajthan » Sun May 03, 2015 12:37 pm

KTRN wrote:Hello all,

- As a result of marriage I had changed my surname to my ex-husbands surname, so my bank account, work history, tax, national insurance are all in my married surname, which I kept using, although am thinking of dropping soon. The question I have - I didn't change it via deed poll, it was simply a matter of showing the spouse visa to bank / employers and they were happy with the surname. Will this be a problem? I will be applying for citizenship under my maiden name as that is what my current passport is under

thank you for your help in advance!
Apply for citizenship in maiden name as it matches your current passport;
- this will avoid potential problems when applying for a British passport in due course (after citizenship), because there have been recent Home Office policy changes on use of names.

There is a section in the application form to list all previous names you have used and been known by.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.