ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

April 2015 Naturalisation -Knowledge of Language Requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lic99
Newly Registered

April 2015 Naturalisation -Knowledge of Language Requirement

Post by lic99 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:20 am

Hi, this is my first post in the forum so apologies in advance if I am not strictly following any norms.

Background: I had filled up the application form with NCS in March 2015 and for knowledge of language section, NCS had accepted the Self assessment prints from UKBA website to support my degree (from India) was taught in English and "I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification". Also, in the past visa extensions, I had always used an option that allowed me to say I had provided University letter in the past applications and thus proved my knowledge of English.

(Unfortunately I had to wait until May because 5 years before I was on long holiday during March/April and so re-submit the forms because forms are changed now after 6th April 2015)

I've a query regarding the Knowledge of language in the new forms applicable since April 2015. I am applying for naturalisation in the first week of May but still skeptical about the documents required due to following reasons:

1. In all earlier application, I always used the option that allowed me to say I had provided University letter in the past applications and thus proved my knowledge of English. In the new form, there is no direct option like that. And I don't have UK NARIC confirmation of any sort.

2. I had called UKBA to ask this question, and one of their representatives on phone said - it's fine to tick the closest possible option (which is in the form "I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognized standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; OR
ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country;
)

If I go with suggestion from UKBA contact center, I will be pretty much saying UK NARIC has confirmed my qualification was taught in English without any documentation from UK NARIC but on the basis of Self Assessment from UKBA website only.

And if I go for UK NARIC confirmation, I will have to wait for another 2-3 weeks I believe for the "Statement of Comparability" certificate. But if I go with suggestion from UKBA contact center, I can re-submit my application on next working day.

Have anyone been going through similar situation or has any suggestions. If I fill up the application with option in bold-Italics above, would Home Office reject my application because there is no UK NARIC confirmation document OR would they ask for supportive document and hang on to the application until I provide UK NARIC certificate?

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: April 2015 Naturalisation -Knowledge of Language Require

Post by smartkhan » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 am

NARIC's statement of comparability and medium of instruction letter from university will be enough. Make sure statement of comparability clearly states that your degree is equal to British Bachelors degree. Or Master's degree.

lic99
Newly Registered

Post by lic99 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks for your reply. If I don't submit the NARIC certificate, would my application be rejected by Home Office OR they would hold it to ask for NARIC Certificate?

badratio

Post by badratio » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am

They would ask first.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

DevThombare
Newly Registered

Post by DevThombare » Tue May 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi

I see the latest form AN as MArch 2015. On this form you have a option to select I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Tue May 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Just to let you know about my experience, I was asked to provide the UK NARIC certificate of comparability for my degree from majority English speaking country at my NCS appointment when I applied last year. So I guess having it might be better.