ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working tax credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Waqas17

Working tax credits

Post by Waqas17 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi,

So my wife successfully joined me last year, many thanks to the help i had from this forum.

I am now considering applying for working tax credits. I have read the sticky on this forum but i'm still confused. I think i am right in thinking that my wife can not have any public funds. So do i apply only in my name? Or do i have to apply as a couple? If i apply as a couple, then wouldn't that mean my wife will have access to public funds?

We are also expecting our first child in a few months, so what's the deal with child tax credit, child benefit and the maternity grant of £500?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Working tax credits

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:25 pm

As strange as it may seem, both working tax credits and child tax credits must be claimed in joint names. This won't affect your wife's status under the rules. Child benefit should be claimed in your name only. The Sure Start Maternity Grant (to which I believe you are referring) is a Public Fund.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:59 pm

The SS Maternity Grant can be claimed by the settled parent.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Casa wrote:As strange as it may seem, both working tax credits and child tax credits must be claimed in joint names. This won't affect your wife's status under the rules.
It will if they accept the second adult element of working tax credits before their first child is born. They claim in both names as his wife's salary is included in his benefit calculation, but he can't take extra benefits for his wife

When their child is born they can take the 2nd adult element or working tax credits and claim child tax credits too if they don't earn much money.

If they are in the area for the Tax Credit replacement Universal Credit, then the rules change again. They might get some transitional protection if they are in an area where they are moved onto Universal Credit.

Waqas17

Post by Waqas17 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:57 pm

So i can apply for working tax credit in both names, but not receive the second adult thing? How do i stop that from happening? Do i tell them my wife isn't allowed public funds on the application form?

Waqas17

Post by Waqas17 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Any more clarification? Would like to fill out the working tax credit form this weekend

Waqas17

Post by Waqas17 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Petaltop wrote:
Casa wrote:As strange as it may seem, both working tax credits and child tax credits must be claimed in joint names. This won't affect your wife's status under the rules.
It will if they accept the second adult element of working tax credits before their first child is born. They claim in both names as his wife's salary is included in his benefit calculation, but he can't take extra benefits for his wife

When their child is born they can take the 2nd adult element or working tax credits and claim child tax credits too if they don't earn much money.

If they are in the area for the Tax Credit replacement Universal Credit, then the rules change again. They might get some transitional protection if they are in an area where they are moved onto Universal Credit.
How do i make sure i don't get the second adult element before our first child is born?

On the form i have ticked the box saying my wife is under immigration control.

Can i send the form off now? I just don't want to mess all this up please could someone advise on the above.