ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

May 2015 - Knowledge of language requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sammy007
Newly Registered

May 2015 - Knowledge of language requirements

Post by Sammy007 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:28 am

Hi,

I am applying for naturalisation this month - May 2015. I applied and received my ILR last year in May, 2014.
During my Tier 1applications I used my Indian degree which is on the Points Based calculator to get points for the language requirements and in ILR application I said I have already proved language requirements before in Tier1.

In the naturalisation application(section 1.22), I have ticked the following:

"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013; "

My questions are:
1) Do I have to still show any evidence/documents while submitting my application to NCS.
2) Should I take the printouts from Point based calculator (as mentioned in the guideline) - it no longer displays Tier 1 (General).
Can I select some other option say Tier 2 , put some dummy values and then use the calculator.

I would very much appreciate if anyone can give some input.
Thank you.

noajthan

Re: May 2015 - Knowledge of language requirements

Post by noajthan » Mon May 04, 2015 11:39 am

Sammy007 wrote:

My questions are:
1) Do I have to still show any evidence/documents while submitting my application to NCS.
2) Should I take the printouts from Point based calculator (as mentioned in the guideline) - it no longer displays Tier 1 (General).
Can I select some other option say Tier 2 , put some dummy values and then use the calculator.

I would very much appreciate if anyone can give some input.
Thank you.
Regarding #1, it seems clear evidence will be required for this citizenship application, as summarised here:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

Regarding #2, here is a similar case...
http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 85512.html

- see the post on May 1 quoting an email from an official (from Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office) about use of the PBS calculator, (tier 2 option).
The Home Office will accept a PBS printout providing you enter the calculator as tier 2 general (even if you were not) as Tier 1 general route is now closed (see our website for further details) and skip to the English language section, enter your degree details here.

The PBS calculator is updated for our use by UKNARIC and therefore, providing you achieve 10 points on the calculator, then UKNARIC have deemed this acceptable to the Home Office.
Hope it helps.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Sammy007
Newly Registered

Post by Sammy007 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks noajthan,

It was quite helpful.
From your first link https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english it seems
if I submit my degree with Point based calculator print-out, it should suffice.

Although I still have a slight confusion because in the AN form, shouldn't I select:
"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013; "

instead of the following option

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i.
UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii.
the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country

It seems I would be giving evidence of the option I did not selected.

Thanks

Sammy007
Newly Registered

Post by Sammy007 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Could anyone please answer the above question.

Much appreciated. Thanks

sabeekj
Mood:
India

Post by sabeekj » Mon May 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi I choose the option as I met English language requirements after Oct 2013 as I received my ILR in Apr 2014..
And submitted pbs points calculator sheet which gave me 10 points for English Language and my Indian Degree certificate as Evidence..
Hope that helps..
Good Luck

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon May 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Sammy007 wrote:Hi,
I think, This will do the job, please confirm with your NCS or gurus on this board.

Sammy007
Newly Registered

Post by Sammy007 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi sabeekj, tier1o

Thank you very much for your input.
I would use the the PBS printout and attach my degree.
I would confirm the same with NCS tomorrow.

Much appreciated.

DevThombare
Newly Registered

Post by DevThombare » Tue May 05, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Sammy007,

I am in the same position as you. I want ao submit my application on 12th May 2105, so please reply if hear from NCS about knowledge of english requiremnet.

Thanks

Sammy007
Newly Registered

Post by Sammy007 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi DevThombare,

NCS confirmed what sabeekj wrote earlier.
They basically need my degree certificate and the printout from the points based calculator.

For the points based calculator, they asked me to
1) Select Tier 2 (General) (There is no Tier1 (General) option available now, so use this instead)
2) Select applying from outside UK (don't think it matters)
3) Fill anything for salary requirements - yes/no
4) Enter the details of your qualification. This should give you 10 points. Select this and take a print out of this screen.
Probably take the printout of the whole pdf after completing all steps.

Hope this helps.

Regards

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Sammy007 wrote:Hi DevThombare,

NCS confirmed what sabeekj wrote earlier.
They basically need my degree certificate and the printout from the points based calculator.

For the points based calculator, they asked me to
1) Select Tier 2 (General) (There is no Tier1 (General) option available now, so use this instead)
2) Select applying from outside UK (don't think it matters)
3) Fill anything for salary requirements - yes/no
4) Enter the details of your qualification. This should give you 10 points. Select this and take a print out of this screen.
Probably take the printout of the whole pdf after completing all steps.

Hope this helps.

Regards
This makes no sense to me. Why bring all this evidence, if everything was already checked at the ILR stage after October 2013? They might as well remove this option, and demand that everyone brings this evidence regardless of when they got their ILR. At least this will not be confusing people.

Sammy007
Newly Registered

Post by Sammy007 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm

I agree ukswus,
I said the same thing before. Apparently I am giving evidence of the option I never selected.

To make matters worse, PBS printouts as evidence are not mentioned anywhere in the form but the guidance does mentions it (but again it doesn't mentions how I should select from PBS when Tier1 - General options doesn't exists).

Further some memebers in different forums have said particular NCS not accepting printouts :D

DevThombare
Newly Registered

Post by DevThombare » Wed May 06, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Sammy007,

Thanks for the reply. I will follow the same . Are you using the from which is March 2015 please.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an

Thanks
Dev

Sammy007
Newly Registered

Post by Sammy007 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi Dev,

Yes, I am using the March 2015 (version 04/15 - see footer of the form).
Also it's worth checking with your NCS as well.

Regards

DevThombare
Newly Registered

Post by DevThombare » Wed May 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks Sammy007,

I have emailed my NCS hertfordshire for the same enquiry. So in this case we dont need Naaric certificate its great saving some more time. Can you text me your mobile on 07588934939 if you are ok to discuss a liitle bit on this application.

Thanks
Dev