ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Application form has changed on us! HELP!!!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Neek49
Newly Registered

ILR Application form has changed on us! HELP!!!

Post by Neek49 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Nationality - South African
Original visa - HSMP with transitional arrangements to tier 1
Current visa - Tier 1 General Migrant
Applying for - Indefinite Leave to Remain

I booked my appointment on the 6th of April and paid the fees to be able to go in person and have my application processed on Monday 11th of May (yep, just after the weekend) and I have only just noticed now that the application has been slightly changed in the last 7 days.
So I'm starting to stress. I got to page 16 (I've been frantically researching and haven't gone any further) and noticed they have changed what they require to prove your english level. On the original HSMP visa I got the full 10 points for the English language requirement based on my degree being taught in english and the degree being the equivalent standard to a UK degree. For subsequent visas I have simply put that my english level has already been proven on the original visa.

Now for ILR they have it sounds as if they require a certificate from NARIC.
"- An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK and:
UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English

Do I assume the answers are yes as I got full points in my original visa? (as in, presumably they must have for me to get the points in the first place)
Do I have to submit Mays updated application if I paid for my appointment in April?
Do I have to stress about getting NARIC to confirm this almost over night?

Any help will be truly appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Application form has changed on us! HELP!!!

Post by CR001 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Is your degree from South Africa?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Neek49
Newly Registered

Post by Neek49 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes. It's a B-TECH Degree from the University of Johannesburgh.
I have a letter from the institution stating that my degree was taught and researched in english.
It was used as proof in previous applications together with my degree certificate

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Don't know what to advise Boet!! Frustrating when they change the forms so frequently with such minor changes. There was another thread asking a similar question, will see if I can find it for you and post the link here.

Sterke en moenie stress nie!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Have a look at these two threads :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1177893

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 85067.html

Perhaps the PBS calculator will suffice. Tier 1 is no longer an option on the calculator but you could select Tier 2 Gen or Tier 1 Ent to see the points awarded.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 pm

And this lengthy topic, see the last entry on page 4.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 42-60.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Neek49
Newly Registered

Post by Neek49 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:34 am

It's not looking good. That new points calculator doesn't show any points for english if you're from South Africa by the looks of it.

We're now looking at rescheduling our appointment if we can. The page says "You may need to pay another fee"
We're worried as we booked our appointment at the old rates and it will cost £1000 more now.

Are we likely to get charged the extra? What is the fee they are referring to?

This says you dont get charged fees. https://www.gov.uk/ukvi-premium-service ... ppointment

Any thoughts?

Neek49
Newly Registered

Post by Neek49 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks Char for finding those links. In my haste I was unable to find anything.

Update: As NARIC have changed the points calculator since my original application, the B-tech is no longer an option, therefore, there are no points for english awarded to it.
Spoke to someone at home office this morning and they said that if thats the case, I would need to get a NARIC certificate to prove it all again. NARIC have the 24hour service, however this would have only been to prove what the B-TECHs equivalent is in the UK and NOT that it was taught and researched in english, which is what I really need. For them to check the language and the level of english takes 10 - 15 days not including postage time.

Now thats its after 5th April, sitting the B1 english test has been pretty much limited to only a couple of companies, and they do not provide a same day certificate option. Minimum 7 days.

So, left with only one option, did what I have not been able to find out any information on.

We originally booked our appointment on the 3rd April 2015, paid in full to go in person on the 11th May. This was done prior to the price increase on the 6th of April. (FYI, we booked our life in the UK test after paying in full for ILR, and the earliest spot available to sit the test was the 7th of May, hows that for cutting it fine......)
Our only option, to reschedule.
It has so far been painless and not cost us an extra £1000 :D ....yet
In fact, no mention of the £100 pound fee either.....yet.
And under the 8th of May box was a link to print out proof of payment (still dated 3rd of April).
So we will leave the payment section blank and simply hand in the proof of payment as others have done after price increases.
Our new appointment has been pushed out 1 month to June.
Will see how it goes......

sa_yaz
Newly Registered

Post by sa_yaz » Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi Neek49

I am in a similar situation as you. I also have BTECH from SA and will be applying for ILR in a few months time

Here's a suggestion: Why don't you get an SoC from UKNARIC. It will definately be compared to a bachelor's degree. You can then go to the points based calculator under tier 2 and choose bachelors degree from South Africa, you'll be awarded the 10 points :)

So when you attend the interview, you can show that your degree is considered a bachelor's degree (SoC from UKNARIC) and as a per the points based calculator, a bachelor's degree from South Africa gives you 10 points :)

I've attached a screenshot as well

My situation is a bit tricky though. I'm struggling to get my academic transcripts from UNISA so that i can get a SoC from UKNARIC. Would you know if transcripts are need to confirm bachelors?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 22.18.45.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 22.18.45.png (19.48 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 22.20.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 22.20.32.png (27.78 KiB) Viewed 683 times

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Thu May 21, 2015 10:47 pm

below is a reply I had received before applying for my PEO.

You can send them the email as well
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Dear xxx

Yes, if you score 10 points on the calculator, this means UK Naric have deemed your qualification to be comparable to a UK degree and taught in English.

Kind regards

Gemma Parle
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office