ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Healthcare Surcharge

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ResidentEvil

Immigration Healthcare Surcharge

Post by ResidentEvil » Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

All,

I just tried to book my premium service appointment for ILR next month and saw something called Immigration Healthcare Surcharge which seems yet another exploit to skin alive everyone applying for ILR these days.

Could anyone please advise if I need to pay for that as I have been in the UK for the past 5 years on Tier-1 (General) visa and am applying for ILR now.

Also would I need to pay for it if I apply by post or is it just for premium service appointments as the Set (O) form does not mention this anywhere?

Is anyone else confused about this or just me?

Thanks for all your help.

vinny

Re: Immigration Healthcare Surcharge

Post by vinny » Tue May 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Applicants for ILR do not have to pay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ResidentEvil

Post by ResidentEvil » Tue May 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks Vinny.

Also, one more query if I may, I will be applying for my wife's FLR-M (partner of a settled person) after I get my ILR God Willing. I believe FLR-M is issued for 2.5 years (correct me if I am wrong) and I need to extend her visa again for 2.5 years (total 5 years) before she can becomes eligible for ILR. She is presently living with me in the UK.

Will I need to pay this IHS for my wife's application if I am applying by post?

Many thanks.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:05 pm

whether applying by post or at PSC has no impact on IHS Payment. It's down to the application being made.

Your wife will have to pay the IHS charge.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Are you applying for ILR based on your Tier 1 visa and 5 years residence?

Is your wife in the UK as a Tier 1 dep?

If so, how long has she been in the UK, date of arrival?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ResidentEvil

Post by ResidentEvil » Tue May 05, 2015 1:17 pm

WR1 and CR001, many thanks for your reply.

Are you applying for ILR based on your Tier 1 visa and 5 years residence?

Yes.

Is your wife in the UK as a Tier 1 dep?

Yes. And I plan to switch her category from "Tier-1 (General) Partner" to FLR-M. I have been told that is a better option. And that she will need to spend five years in FLR-M category before she is eligible for ILR. So I guess it is initial FLR-M for 2.5 years and then another FLR-M extension for 2.5 years.

If so, how long has she been in the UK, date of arrival?

She arrived in the UK in September last year.

Many thanks for the help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Cool thanks so not a lot of time to lose as been in UK for a few months only.

Yes, surcharge payable for your wife 2.5 years X £200, payable upfront whether applying by post or in person.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ResidentEvil

Post by ResidentEvil » Tue May 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank you both CR001 and WR1, your input is much appreciated.

shoaibsuleman

Post by shoaibsuleman » Fri May 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi

I got my indiefinte on the basis of LR. Now im applying for FLR(M) for my wife. I got question about how to pay NHS Surcharge.

I added my wife detail for NHS surcharge then do I need to add the details of Main applicant as well(i.e. me)? It ask main applicant IHS number but I dont have one as I dont needed because i got my ILR. Also it ask for visa status, not sure what to select from that Drop down of catagory!

Can some one please help I got appointment on Tuesday for premium service and can't get my head around what to select.

r1kumar
Newly Registered

Immigration Healthcare Surcharge and tier 2 switch (in count

Post by r1kumar » Sat May 09, 2015 1:10 am

Hi,
I am in Uk from 1 may 2013 on Tier-2 General visa and my visa expiry date i may 2019. I am switching my sponsor ( Employer ) and will be applying for 3+ years Tier 2 visa IN COUNTRY with my 2 dependents ( wife + baby currently in uk ). My qustions are -
1. Do I need to pay NHS fee and for 3 years or 5 years ( because I will be eligible for PRin 3 years bt still applying for 3 years visa to be on the safer side )
2. What will be ategory for visa applications for my dependent Tier 2 PBS dependet or Further Leave to Remain ?
3.Do they need to apply with me as I will be going for priorty service and for dependents thinking of postal service.

Need advice . please help

piyush79
- thin ice -

Post by piyush79 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:36 pm

Hello fellow members and moderators.

I have created a petition on the parliament.uk site – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... XcOPJncMbk

My petition:

Exemption from Immigration Health Surcharge for those applying for their current visa extension within the UK and have been contributing to the taxes and national insurance

I have read quite a few posts on this forum where everyone is only chatting about this new surcharge and how it affects them. An extra £200 per year is no joke especially when you think of those who have already been living in the country and simply want to extend their visa...in my case FLRM extension but for someone else it could be the tier 2 General extension or some other category... There is a difference between just discussing an issue or a problem and taking charge to act on a problem. Let's all sign the petition so that the MPs take a note.1,000 signatures leads to a response from MP. 100,000 signatures leads to the petition being discussed within the parliament. The immigration health surcharge maybe valid for those coming into the uk for the first time but ideally should not affect those already living here for 2-3 years. Hope you all agree.

Dear moderators...ideally i would have wanted this post to be identified as its own thread but if you People are really interested in bringing a change then help me create an awareness to get this petition signed which will surely be helpful to many of us on this forum

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:40 pm

You may have been permitted to have your own thread if you hadn't spammed the forum 26 times in succession with the same post, immediately after joining. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:43 pm

piyush79 wrote:Hello fellow members and moderators.

My petition:

Exemption from Immigration Health Surcharge for those applying for their current visa extension within the UK and have been contributing to the taxes and national insurance

I have read quite a few posts on this forum where everyone is only chatting about this new surcharge and how it affects them. An extra £200 per year is no joke especially when you think of those who have already been living in the country and simply want to extend their visa...in my case FLRM extension but for someone else it could be the tier 2 General extension or some other category... There is a difference between just discussing an issue or a problem and taking charge to act on a problem. Let's all sign the petition so that the MPs take a note.1,000 signatures leads to a response from MP. 100,000 signatures leads to the petition being discussed within the parliament. The immigration health surcharge maybe valid for those coming into the uk for the first time but ideally should not affect those already living here for 2-3 years. Hope you all agree.

Dear moderators...ideally i would have wanted this post to be identified as its own thread but if you People are really interested in bringing a change then help me create an awareness to get this petition signed which will surely be helpful to many of us on this forum
I won't be signing it that's for sure!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

piyush79
- thin ice -

Post by piyush79 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Well apologies for that...my main agenda is to spread awareness so If multiple posts don't work then let's follow the path of having a thread where everyone can come and be aware that taking action on something as IHS is now in their own hands... Let's make the discussions forum into an action forum of all are on board

piyush79
- thin ice -

Post by piyush79 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Casa... I see so many multiple topics where subject is either IHS or Nhs surcharge or within the visa extension query people are really confused and agitated by the new surcharge. How can we make them all aware to sign this petition as i don't want to spam the forum but at the same time want to ensure that anyone talking about NHS surcharge on any other thread is aware of the petition link. What's the best way to approach this?

piyush79
- thin ice -

Post by piyush79 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks Wanderer...i believe you may not be affected by this change or maybe you already are a British citizen. I have an issue paying this additional health surcharge considering that in last 3.5. Years i have paid 36K in taxes and 16K in national insurance plus i don't even use nhs as i have private health insurance through my employer. Therefore this petition is for those like me in a similar situation and having contributed quite a bit in to the uk economy with no intention to claim any benefits or even use NHS services.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:10 pm

piyush79 wrote:Thanks Wanderer...i believe you may not be affected by this change or maybe you already are a British citizen. I have an issue paying this additional health surcharge considering that in last 3.5. Years i have paid 36K in taxes and 16K in national insurance plus i don't even use nhs as i have private health insurance through my employer. Therefore this petition is for those like me in a similar situation and having contributed quite a bit in to the uk economy with no intention to claim any benefits or even use NHS services.
No I'm British born and bred and have paid into the NHS system for over 40 years. If migrants want to use it they'll have to pay for it is my view (and that of the UK Gov).

Even so, the charge is a bargain for someone who's contributed nothing previously and covers pre-existing conditions to boot so I can't see any argument against it really.

Just my twopenn'orth......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:23 pm

piyush79 wrote:Thanks Wanderer...i believe you may not be affected by this change or maybe you already are a British citizen. I have an issue paying this additional health surcharge considering that in last 3.5. Years i have paid 36K in taxes and 16K in national insurance plus i don't even use nhs as i have private health insurance through my employer. Therefore this petition is for those like me in a similar situation and having contributed quite a bit in to the uk economy with no intention to claim any benefits or even use NHS services.
This approach won't fly, what if you have a car crash or your house catches fire meaning you need emergency treatment.

Same approach applies equally for long-term Brits who are tax payers and may happen to have private insurance cover.

There is no tax rebate for any bits of the state services they don't happen to use at any point in time, whether that is health or educational or social support or defence or police systems (& etc, etc).

This is all known up-front before anyone who is a guest in the country arrives and should be factored into the cost-benefit analysis or SWOT analysis (or similar) that one does.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:32 pm

piyush79 wrote:Hello fellow members and moderators.

My petition:

Please refrain from spamming the forums with multiple posts of your petition. Moreover, it's not clear from the petition page as to what the petition was for.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.